Delicious granola kissed with coconut is so easy to make and makes and excellent breakfast, brunch or light snack. We love it served with fresh berries and yogurt!
Granola is such a tasty treat. The thing is it is pretty expensive to buy at the store.
It is so easy to make at home though, so we don’t need to worry ourselves over that one little bit. Plus then you know exactly what is in it and you can customize it to your tastes.
This toasted coconut granola was a huge hit at our house. It makes a nice big batch, but it has a way of disappearing quickly!
The many possible flavor combinations that you can throw into granola is one of my favorite parts about it. You could make a batch every week of the year and never make the exact same thing twice.
But when you fall in love with a particular recipe like our favorite toasted maple cinnamon granola, you can find it hard to convince yourself to switch it up.
I mean we can eat that stuff like candy. We have. We very likely will again.
But sometimes even if you really love something, you need to change it up. So I thought it would be fun to make a coconut version, sweetened with brown sugar and honey.
I think one of the things that sets these granolas apart from most is the pre-toasting. I love to toast the oats before I coat them to add that extra layer of warm toasty flavor.
I went ahead and toasted the coconut while I was at it for this recipe, because toasted coconut is soooo good!
I threw in a handful of chopped pecans because it sounded good. Of course I knew that would instantly turn my nut adverse husband off, but I was ok with bearing the brunt of having to eat the granola.
Luckily Little Dude was at least open to the idea of picking them out, so I had help eating it after all.
Actually I had a lot of help. He barely let me get in on it.
As he was eating his second helping of yogurt with sliced strawberries and granola, he proclaimed he could eat that twice a day every day for the rest of his life. If that isn’t a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is!
To make it even better, you can just sprinkle it over a container of yogurt if you need a snack. You can get a big bowlful for your breakfast.
Or you can layer it up nicely in a martini glass, wine glass or fancy jar for a nice brunch. Dressed up or down, it is going to be good.
More great granola recipes
Chocolate granola is out of this world delicious. It is great eaten by the handful, sprinkled on yogurt or eaten as cereal with milk! Whatever you do, just make some!
Homemade cookies and cream granola bars are quick and easy to make and you can control what goes in them. They are perfect for lunchbox treats, after school snacks or keep one or two in your purse for when hunger strikes.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Toasted Coconut Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats over a rimmed half sheet pan and bake for about 7 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with coconut. Bake for another 7-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine remaining ingredients.
- Stir warm oats and coconut in with the rest of the ingredients until well coated and spread over rimmed baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250°F and bake granola for about 50 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Allow to cool. If there are large chunks, they should break easily in your hands. Store completely cooled granola in an airtight container until ready to use.