A kiwi filling is swirled in a cream cheese base for a one of a kind pie experience. If you’ve never had kiwi and cream pie, you don’t know what you’re missing.
I have a sad story to tell you. I am sitting next to an empty pie plate trying to decide what to tell you about this pie. So far I have “it was good” and “I wish there was more.” But, alas there is no more. Darn!
It all started because I had some kiwi that I wanted to use. I searched for ideas online, but I didn’t want to make a smoothie or sorbet. There were some tasty looking salsas, but that wasn’t what I had in mind either. So, I set off to make something on my own.
What I ended up with was so tasty! The kiwi added a light tart tropical flavor swirled into a cheesecake type base. This would be really good in a graham cracker crust too, but I didn’t have any graham crackers on hand today. So, pie crust it was!
After just eating a half of a homemade pizza, Matt still got a second piece, which almost never happens with dessert. He had to share one with Sam when he came by too. He made the comment that I could make it again whenever I would like.
It always cracks me up when he says stuff like that. But I took it as a compliment. He had just gotten done telling me about how he really isn’t into pies, other than his mom’s apple pie, so I was happy to have one he would request again.
I don’t know why, but I just love that you can see the speckle of the seeds in the kiwi filling. So fun!
- 1 pie crust
- 5 kiwi
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 oz Neufatchel cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pie crust in pie pan. Prick the bottom with a fork,
- Cover the dough with parchment and pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove weights and bake for 5 more and set aside. Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Peel and puree the kiwi. Mix kiwi and a half cup of sugar in a small saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, bring to a low boil. Simmer for about ten minutes or until it starts to thicken. Add a slurry of the corn starch and a teaspoon of water. Allow to simmer for a minute or two longer. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixer, whip cream cheese until smooth. Add the other half cup of sugar, egg, vanilla and salt. Mix completely.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into par-baked pie shell. Spread kiwi mixture over the top. Using a knife, gently swirl the kiwi mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until barely set.
- Cool for an hour, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.