A kiwi filling is swirled in a cream cheese base for a one of a kind pie experience. If you’ve never had kiwi and cream pie, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Kiwi and cream cheese come together in this fun pie. If you have never tried baking with kiwis, you are missing out!
I have a sad story to tell you. I am sitting next to an empty pie plate trying to decide what to tell you about this pie.
So far I have “it was good” and “I wish there was more.” But, alas there is no more. Darn!
It all started because I had some kiwi that I wanted to use. I searched for ideas online, but I didn’t want to make a smoothie or sorbet.
There were some tasty looking salsas, but that wasn’t what I had in mind either. So, I set off to make something on my own.
What I ended up with was so tasty! The kiwi added a light tart tropical flavor swirled into a cheesecake type base.
This would be really good in a graham cracker crust too, but I didn’t have any graham crackers on hand today. So, pie crust it was!
After just eating a half of a homemade pizza, Matt still got a second piece, which almost never happens with dessert. He had to share one with Sam when he came by too.
He made the comment that I could make it again whenever I would like.
It always cracks me up when he says stuff like that. But I took it as a compliment.
He had just gotten done telling me about how he really isn’t into pies, other than his mom’s apple pie, so I was happy to have one he would request again.
I don’t know why, but I just love that you can see the speckle of the seeds in the kiwi filling. So fun!
Kiwi and Cream Pie
- 1 pie crust
- 5 kiwi
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 oz Neufatchel cheese softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pie crust in pie pan. Prick the bottom with a fork,
- Cover the dough with parchment and pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove weights and bake for 5 more and set aside. Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Peel and puree the kiwi. Mix kiwi and a half cup of sugar in a small saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, bring to a low boil. Simmer for about ten minutes or until it starts to thicken. Add a slurry of the corn starch and a teaspoon of water. Allow to simmer for a minute or two longer. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixer, whip cream cheese until smooth. Add the other half cup of sugar, egg, vanilla and salt. Mix completely.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into par-baked pie shell. Spread kiwi mixture over the top. Using a knife, gently swirl the kiwi mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until barely set.
- Cool for an hour, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.