Old fashioned peanut butter pie is baked to perfection. It is gooey, peanut buttery and delicious. It is especially good with a drizzle of hot fudge!
If you have never had a baked peanut butter pie, now is the time to change that! This great recipe is completely different than the fluffy no bake peanut butter pies but every bit as delicious. You are going to love the texture and how easy it is to make too.
Surprise! Who guessed the fudge sauce would be drizzled over a peanut butter pie? Be honest, you had no idea.
Not to mention a baked peanut butter pie! This takes everything you know about peanut butter pie and turns it on its head.
What is the Filling Like?
Rather than a light and fluffy filling full of whipped topping and air, this is an eggy denser filling that has just the right balance of caramelized top and gooey filling. Drizzle it with some fudge sauce and get ready to be delighted.
The texture reminds me a lot of a pecan pie, but without the pecans. And no crunch from the nuts. Though I suppose you could use crunchy peanut butter if you want a little crunch.
Or heck, throw in a handful or two of peanuts if you want to. It’s your pie, you do you! We like the smooth texture though and it has just enough yummy peanut flavor.
The Pie Dough
If you want to go all out and make your own pie crust, make MiMi’s flaky pie crust. It is super flaky and delicious.
Nobody will care if you use a frozen pie crust though. They will be too mystified by the wonderful filling to care about where the pie crust came from.
Besides, it can be our little secret anyway. If you flute the edge, nobody will even notice it isn’t homemade. Just do whatever feels best to you!
More Great Pie Recipes
If you like peanut butter pie, but want to try something a bit different I also highly recommend my no-bake peanut butter pie with chocolate covered pretzel crust. It has that sweet and salty thing going for it with super fluffy cream cheese and peanut butter filling. Plus the filling uses homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip for an extra creamy and tasty no bake pie.
Another fun old fashioned pie is MiMi’s honey chess pie. It has the rich flavor of honey baked into a simple but lovely pie.
But before you run away to make those pies, please promise me you will give this one a try. It is worth the tiny bit of effort for sure!
What can I top peanut butter pie with?
We think this pie is wonderful with a drizzle of hot fudge. However it would also be nice with a dollop of whipped cream or a sprinkling of chopped peanut butter cups, chopped peanuts or even crushed Nutter Butters.
Can you use crunchy peanut butter for pie filling?
Of course you can. If you don’t want a completely smooth filling, feel free to swap crunchy peanut butter for creamy. However, it is best not to try a natural peanut butter that you have to stir before you use.
How do I store leftover pie?
Wrap loosely in plastic wrap and sore in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Allow pie to come to room temperature before enjoying for the best flavor and texture.
Did you make this great recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
- 1 pie crust for a single-crust pie
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional (but highly recommended!): Super easy hot fudge sauce for drizzling
- Place pie crust dough in a deep dish pie plate and preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla. You can use a mixer, but don't whip it too hard. If you create too many air bubbles they will be visible on the top of the pie.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until the top is puffed and the middle is almost set. If the filling is browning to quickly, you may have to loosely tent with foil about half way through. Don't let the foil touch the filling, as it will remove some of the caramelized top. (Not that such a thing has ever happened to me.)
- Allow to cool before serving. The top will sink as it cools. Store in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.