Big Italian beef flavor is possible in a fraction of the time with help from a pressure cooker. This is a dinner they’ll request over and over.
The filling for these Italian beef sandwiches is just 4 simple ingredients. Have some rolls ready and some Provolone if you want it (and you do!) and you’ll be ready to go! This is an easy dinner worthy of being on your regular menu rotation.
Italian beef sandwiches have been a favorite in my family for decades. MiMi grew up in the Chicago suburbs and Pops went to dental school in the city.
So I suppose that is how MiMi got started making them. Italian beef in one variation or another seems to be an offering at every Chicago style eatery.
My husband was hooked at first taste, so I try to make sure they are on the menu at least once ever few months. He is always excited when they appear and he is happy to lay claim to the leftovers.
Making Italian beef in the slow cooker
Until recently we always made our Italian beef in the slow cooker. It is delicious that way as well.
You can use the exact same ingredients, just put your crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
It is still a super flavorful meal, it just takes a little longer to get it on the table!
Possible variations for making Italian beef for sandwiches
If you don’t have a packet of Italian dressing mix, but you do have a bottle of Italian dressing… that works too! Use the dressing for the liquid and eliminate the broth. It will still turn out great!
If you want thicker “jous” make a slurry out of a teaspoon or two of cornstarch and a Tablespoon of water. Stir it in to the broth after you shred the meat and simmer until slightly thickened.
Some people like to serve a little of the cooking liquid on the side for dipping. We tend to take big heaps of dripping meat from the pot and let that juice soak into the bread.
I like mine with additional fresh pickled peperoncini on top. My husband loves to slice fresh jalapenos for his.
Growing up I don’t remember putting cheese on our Italian beef sandwiches. Now I love melting slices of Provolone on them.
Leftovers make a great pizza. Just thicken up the sauce and turn it into Italian beef pizza!
If you like these, you’ll enjoy french dip sandwiches as well. Both should be in a regular rotation on you meal plan.
Check out my collection of hot sandwich recipes for more tasty ideas.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Italian Beef Sandwiches in the Instant Pot (or a Slow Cooker)
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 ounce Italian dressing seasoning mix the kind in the packet
- 1 cup jarred pickled pepperoncini with the juice
- For serving: hard rolls or toasted hoagie rolls Provolone cheese, additional pepperoncini
- Place the chuck roast, Italian dressing mix, beef broth and pepperoncini with juice in the greased instant pot insert.3 pounds beef chuck roast, 1 cup beef broth, 1 ounce Italian dressing seasoning mix, 1 cup jarred pickled pepperoncini with the juice
- Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Then quick release the pressure (letting it naturally release is fine too, whatever you prefer!)
- Shred beef.
- Serve on rolls.
- If desired, preheat the oven to 350°F. Top sandwiches with slices of provolone cheese and cook for about 5 minutes until all melty and delicious then top with more pepperoncini.