Roasted fall vegetables are made perfectly tender and lightly caramalized with a hint of Chinese five spice to give them that extra something. It’s a delicious fall side dish.
Roasting vegetables is one of my favorite way to fix them all year long. Roasting brings out their natural sweetness and makes them so delicious.
This mix of naturally sweet carrots, beets and squash marries so nicely with the five spice. It is a side dish worthy of a place on your dinner plate.
This is one of those dishes that just sort of happened. I wasn’t so sure it was going to be a blog post, but as I saw and smelled it coming together I knew I had stumbled onto something.
There was a huge pork shoulder in the slow cooker ready for hula pork sandwiches. We had harvested the last of our beets and carrots and a pile of winter squash from our CSA was growing on the buffet.
So there wasn’t much thinking involved in what the vegetable was going to be. Roasted beets, carrots and buttercup squash sounded fabulous.
I tend to not get overly creative when it comes to seasoning vegetables. Most of them get salt, pepper and garlic.
Sometimes, like with the roasted zucchini an cherry tomatoes, I get super fancy and add oregano, basil and cheese.
With sweet vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes and winter squash I tend to go with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
But I am trying to branch out and vary it a bit so we don’t get burned out. We still have quite a bit of squash to eat!
So I thought I would branch out slowly. The use of Chinese five spice seemed like a great way to expand our horizons while keeping that hint of familiar cinnamon.
Boy did it ever work out. The blend of vegetables and spice was really lovely together and the textures were great as well.
We all ate our fill of roasted veggies and hula pork sliders. Then my husband happily asked for repeats night after night until the leftovers were gone. I was shocked each and every time!
Vegetable substitution ideas:
- Sweet potatoes
- Acorn squash
- Pearl onions
- Butternut squash
More delicious roasted vegetable recipes:
- Parmesan Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Maple Glazed Roasted Fall Vegetables with Chestnuts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Almonds
- Roasted Green Beans
Five Spice Roasted Vegetables
- 1 buttercup squash
- ½ pound of carrots
- 1½ pounds of beets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the peel off and then cut into cubes.
- Peel and cut beets and carrots as well. Toss with oil, salt and Chinese five spice.
- Spread vegetables over prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then flip and stir vegetables. Return to oven for another 20-30 minutes or until veggies are cooked to your liking.