Now you don’t have to choose between chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake. You can have them both at once with this decadent cookie dough cheesecake.
Sometimes mixing two of your favorites makes them even better. That is the case in the cookie dough cheesecake recipe.
The goodness of chocolate chips cookies, cookie dough, and creamy cheesecake are all baked together into one over the top dessert. It was one of my favorite desserts growing up, and now it can become one of your favorites as well.
I have tweaked the recipe a bit over the years to make it even easier to make. Having to taste test cheesecakes is just a hazard of the job, and it is one I love!
If you have a sweet tooth like I do, you are going to love this chocolate chip cookie cheesecake.
Making Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake
Get your springform pan ready, this is going to be good.
MiMi originally made this cheesecake for the blog back in 2016. She shared the way she used to make it with either a graham cracker crumb crust or by baking some chocolate chip cookies and turning them into a crumb crust.
She also used a recipe that included sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and eggs. When I was in high school it was my birthday “cake” request every single year.
It also made appearance at other special events. It was popular and really good.
But I decided to revisit the recipe and switch it up a bit. Instead of a crumb crust, I gave it a chocolate chip cookie crust.
I also changed the cheesecake batter itself. I used our favorite condensed milk cheesecake recipe as a base instead of the more New York style cheesecake MiMi used to make.
These changes both made the cheesecake a little easier to make and the results were every bit as delicious.
I will warn you that you are going to need a 10″ springform pan for this recipe. Anything smaller and you are going to have a mess on the bottom of your oven.
I suppose you might be able to get away with adding less cookie dough to the cheesecake and try it in a 9″ pan, but I say just go for it and use the bigger one. That way you reduce the risk of mess without reducing your reward.
MiMi’s original chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake recipe:
- 2 T butter, melted
- 3 cups cookie crumbs (Oreos, chocolate chip, graham) I baked about 1 1/2 dozen cookies from the tub of chocolate chip cookie dough
- 32 oz cream cheese – softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tub refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- For crust: Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 10 inch spring form pan. Combine the butter and cookie crumbs. Press onto the bottom and sides of the pan.
- For filling: use and electric mixer on high-speed to combine the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and flour. Beat until smooth. Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix just until blended. Pour half of the batter into the prepared crust. Scoop one pound of the cookie dough and form into golf ball size pieces. Drop those into the batter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter over that.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for 30 more minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, remove the sides of the pan and cut into pieces.
Tips for making creamy cheesecakes:
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you start. Cold cream cheese or eggs greatly increase your risk of having clumps of cream cheese in your batter.
Make sure to whip the cream cheese until it is super smooth before you add anything else. This is your best chance to get out any lumps. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl and the paddle multiple times as you go.
Drizzle in the sweetened condensed milk slowly and be sure it is mixed in well before you add more liquid.
Once you add the eggs, beat only until combined. You don’t want to whip in too much air. That increases your chances of cracks and bubbles.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake
- 32 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough
- 24 ounces cream cheese softened
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of a 10″ springform pan to form a crust.32 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough
- In your mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth and creamy. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and the beater along the way to avoid lumps.24 ounces cream cheese
- With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in the sweetened condensed milk. Beat until creamy.14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Stir in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time. Mix until combined, but don’t whip in too much air.2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 4 eggs
- Pour over cookie dough crust.
- Make small balls out of the remaining cookie dough and place sporadically over the top of the cheesecake batter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.½ cup chocolate chips
- Bake until the center is just shy of set, about an hour to an hour and ten minutes. Turn off the oven, but leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door shut for 30 more minutes.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and allow to come to room temperature, then move to the refrigerator to chill for at least a couple of hours.