Get all of the delicious flavors of carrot cake in cupcake form. These carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Easter, Thanksgiving and every day in between!
Lightly spiced cake made super moist by an abundance of shredded carrots, these cupcakes the the perfect balance of everything you’d want in a carrot cake. Whip up a batch for the Easter Bunny and he’s sure to leave you some extra treats.
Table of Contents
This recipe is from scratch and includes fresh grated carrots for the optimal texture and flavor. Plus this way you can say you are getting some extra veggies in your diet!
About the Recipe
This recipe makes really tasty carrot cake cupcakes. Making them from scratch may sound intimidating, but it really is pretty easy.
You don’t even need a mixer for the recipe. Because it is oil based instead of butter, so it mixes together easily.
While you don’t need a mixer, a food processor does make grating the carrots easier. However, you can use a box grater if you prefer.
You want the grated carrots to be pretty fine. So use the smallest holes on the grating disk.
Otherwise, this recipe comes together really easily. You will have them in the oven in no time at all.
And while we love a piece of old-fashioned carrot cake, there is just something about cupcakes that always makes things more fun. Make a batch to see for yourself.
Frosting Ideas for Carrot Cupcakes
There are so many tasty frosting recipes to go on top of your cupcakes. The options really are about endless.
Decorator’s cream cheese frosting is a great choice. It gives you that classic cream cheese tang but it is stiff enough to pipe onto your treats.
Caramel buttercream is another wonderful option. The warm caramel notes go really well with the carrot cake.
That is what I used with I made the carrot pull apart cake and everyone loved the combination.
Tips and Tricks for Making Carrot Cupcakes:
You want your carrots to be finely shredded. You can do that by hand, or use the fine disk on your food processor.
The combination of spices in this recipe gives a really nice balanced flavor. You can add more for a big spice flavor or leave some out if you don’t have them.
If cinnamon is all you have, you will still get delicious cupcakes. However adding a little nutmeg or ginger really punches up the flavor.
You can add chopped nuts if you would like, or leave them out. You could also add raisins if you would like.
Soak them in a little water or orange juice before adding the raisins if you want them to be extra plump.
More Carrot Recipes
If you want a layered cake, try making Maida’s carrot cake. It is a beauty and worthy of special occasions.
If you are looking for another carrot dessert, try making streusel topped carrot pie. It is such an unexpected way to enjoy carrots!
If you tried this recipe, or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments. Hungry for more? Be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cups light brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups carrots finely shredded
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and place 18 cupcake liners in cupcake tins.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves until they are combined and clump free. Set aside.1½ cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon cloves
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, brown sugar, sugar, and eggs until the mixture is thick and well mixed.½ cups light brown sugar, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 3 large eggs
- Stir in the vanilla and vegetable oil, mixing well.2 teaspoons vanilla extract, ½ cup vegetable oil
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring as little as possible to get it incorporated.
- Fold in the shredded carrots and nuts if using. Stir until the mixture is uniform.2 cups carrots
- Spoon into prepared cupcake tins, filling each liner about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched with a finger. Cool for 5-10 minutes in the cupcake tins and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.