Buttery homemade vanilla cupcakes with a texture reminiscent of a pound cake are the perfect pair for your favorite frosting!
Tender vanilla cupcakes with plenty of buttery goodness are a perfect building block for an out of this world dessert. This recipe is perfect for 12 scrumptious cupcakes and are sure to go beautifully with your favorite frosting.
I know I am a couple of years behind the trend, but I think this is going to be a year of cupcakes at our house. We have really been enjoying them.
We are hooked on making pull-apart cupcake cakes. It started with the lamb cupcake pull-apart cake last year, then the grinch cupcake pull-apart cake and the carrot pull-apart cake earlier this spring.
They are one of those desserts that are deceptively easy to put together but make a big impact when they are served. For me they come together more quickly than a layer cake and with less pressure to be perfectly smooth.
Even when not served as a pull-apart cake, cupcakes have a lot of built in benefits. For one, they are easy to serve.
There are no utensils required, just pick one up and go. Plus it’s easy to determine the serving size as it’s not dependent on how generous the cake cutter is!
Not to mention cupcakes are naturally cute. You don’t have to know any fancy techniques to get a nice looking cupcake.
Even a quick smear of frosting and a smattering of sprinkles makes for a nice presentation. If you have a star tip and piping bag, all the better!
When I saw this recipe for cupcakes over on Miz Helen’s, I knew I had to give them a try. I have a fabulous recipe for semi-homemade white cupcakes, but was on the search for a from scratch vanilla cupcake.
This particular recipe gives you nice rounded tops that are perfect for decorating. The neutral flavor will go great with any frosting you can dream of.
I made a fabulous strawberry buttercream for these and will be sharing the recipe later this week. It almost tasted like a strawberry milkshake on top of a cupcake. It just might be my new favorite frosting!
What is your all time favorite cake and frosting combination?
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 cupcake wells with paper liners.
- Cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until lump free and airy.
- Add half the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in the half and half and remaining dry ingredients, again mixing until just combined.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tins (using a large cookie scoop makes this job easy!)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.