Silky smooth and super chocolaty, this fudge frosting is perfect for piping out designs on cakes and cupcakes. Of course is spreads like a dream too, make a batch and see for yourself!
Super fudgy frosting that is perfectly pipable and ready to decorate your cakes, cupcakes and cookies. This recipe makes a luscious chocolate frosting that has a bit of sheen and is silky smooth. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat too!
Then there’s the fudgy sweetened condensed milk icing that is super delicious but is more for spreading and dipping and not good for pipping decorations.
This frosting combines the best of both worlds. It has a full cup of cocoa in it for a rich chocolate taste.
If you choose to make it with coffee, the flavor is even more intense. Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like coffee. I just gives great depth of flavor to the chocolate.
Either way, it is silky smooth and a dream to decorate with. It also spreads fabulously smooth.
One batch makes enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes, possibly 36 if you don’t pile it high. It is also plenty to fill, cover and decorate a layer cake.
I’ll share those with you soon. They are cute as can be! We also have a fun Christmas theme cupcake with fudge frosting coming soon!
We are definitely getting in the holiday spirit and the more fudge the better!
More favorite frosting recipes:
Tips and tricks:
- If you are in a hurry (or your kitchen is warm from baking) you can speed up getting pipable frosting by putting it in the fridge for 10-20 minutes. Stir it every 5 minutes or so until you have the right consistency.
- This frosting spreads great and pipes like a dream.
- As the frosting sits, it does form a light crust. That makes transportation and storage easier!
- The extra is fabulous between two Graham crackers.
- If you want a darker fudge frosting, use special dark cocoa powder or dutch processed cocoa powder.
Cupcake decoration ideas:
If you are a frosting fanatic like me, check out my Frosting 101. It goes through the different types of frosting and links to all sorts of delicious recipes!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup hot coffee (or hot water)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 pound bag powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl (or bowl of an electric mixer).
- Beat on low for 30 seconds to combine and then on medium for 5 minutes. The mixture should be completely smooth.
- Allow to sit until completely cooled to room temperature. To speed up the process, you can put the bowl in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Beat again until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread on completely cooled cake.
- Extras can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container. Just allow to come to room temperature and rewhip before using.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.