Turn BBQ pulled pork into something fabulous. These buns are a fun twist on the classic sandwich!
Stuffed with BBQ pulled pork and cheese, these rolls take your meal to the next level. They are easy to make. The soft and flavorful results will make them a lunch or dinnertime entrée!
It has been a while since I shared a fun pulled pork leftover recipe with you. So I figured it was high time I do just that.
When I make pulled pork, I tend to make a whole shoulder. Even if it’s just the three of us eating, I go ahead and make the whole lot.
I am never concerned about leftovers, I know without a doubt they will get used up! They freeze beautifully, so I always portion some out for later.
But I don’t freeze them all. I like to challenge myself to be creative with some of what is left.
Not to brag, but I have come up with some real winners over the years. If you haven’t tried my creamy bbq pulled pork enchiladas, you are missing out. They are so delicious and relatively easy to put together.
Then there’s the BBQ pulled pork and rice skillet. That’s a perfect weeknight meal that cooks all in one skillet.
So when there was a pile of meat left from the instant pot root beer braised pork, I was not at all concerned.
The boys were happy to enjoy it in a few more sandwiches though, but we had run out of buns.
Of course I could have run to the store, but that seemed like too much work. I did have a loaf of frozen bread dough in the freezer though, so I knew I could easily make something happen.
Now I could have formed up some buns and called it a day, but where’s the fun in that. Besides, rolling out the dough and stuffing it like a cinnamon roll wasn’t really any extra work and it would be a lot more fun!
So of course that’s exactly what I did. Luckily I thought of it early enough in the morning that I was able to defrost the dough, shape it, let it rise and baked it all in time for lunch.
I was surprised how quickly the pan of them disappeared and I was showered with compliments. The soft bread and cheesy bbq filling was a big hit with us all.
What are your favorite ways to use pulled pork? Have you ever tried anything fun or unconventional?
I’d love to hear all about it!
Cheesy BBQ Pulled Pork Buns
- 1 loaf frozen bread like Rhodes
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 2-3 cups pulled pork
- 1 cup shredded cheese We used cheddar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Roll bread into a large rectangle (about 10×15, but it doesn’t have to be perfect.)
- Spread with BBQ sauce. Sprinkle the pulled pork and cheese over the top.
- Roll the long edge over itself into a spiral, like you would do cinnamon rolls.
- Cut into 9 equal pieces. Place in a greased 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and stir in the garlic salt. Gently brush over the bready parts of the rolls.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.