Shortcakes made with easy to make yogurt drop biscuits and filled with fruit and vanilla yogurt are perfect for brunch or a lighter dessert treat.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #easterbrunchweek #ad. I was given products for recipe development and a prize pack for readers to win. As always, all opinions are honest and my own.
Whipping up a batch of yogurt drop biscuits is quick and easy. They make the perfect base for so many things. In this case they become a tasty shortcake with vanilla yogurt and fruit. They would make for a fun breakfast or healthier spring treat.
We are huge yogurt fans at our house. There is always a quart or two in the refrigerator.
I love to bake with it. I think it helps ensure a nice soft texture.
I tend to almost exclusively buy organic whole milk yogurt, either plain or vanilla. I read some articles about the benefits of organic whole milk dairy a while back and that got us started.
Now we really prefer the flavor and texture. It is so good and feels good to do something that’s both tasty and healthier for our bodies.
So I was super excited when I heard Stonyfield was sponsoring this week. Yo-baby was among Little Dude’s first foods, so our history goes back a bit.
It was tempting to make another flavor of baked oatmeal, but I thought it would be fun to do a little something different. Luckily these shortcakes came to mind.
The drop biscuits are super simple to make. You can basically make them by doing a 1:1 ratio of yogurt and all-purpose baking mix (the kind you make biscuits and pancakes with).
You can also make them with yogurt and a handful of pantry staples like I did. I used vanilla yogurt to make them lightly sweetened, but you could use plain yogurt for savory applications.
I love drop biscuits because they are not at all finicky. Just stir together a shaggy dough and plop it on a baking sheet.
Because you don’t have to knead or cut them, the batter can be looser and wetter to start. Thus the interior has a soft texture when they are done.
Once the outsides are golden, they are ready. Just split them in half and fill them with vanilla yogurt and your favorite fruit.
If you love trying different kinds of biscuits, you will need to check out my recipe for lard biscuits as well. They are tender and oh so tasty!
Brunch Shortcakes with Simple Yogurt Drop Biscuits
Yogurt Drop Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup yogurt plain or vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups chopped fruit
- Yogurt Drop Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the yogurt and melted butter.
- The dough should be shaggy and moist. Different yogurts have different moisture content, so an extra tablespoon or two of flour or yogurt may be needed at this point.
- Scoop about 3 Tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut biscuits in half across the equator.
- Fill with vanilla yogurt and sliced fruit.