My brother K.C. decided to host family dinner this week. And boy did he do a good job!! You may remember the last family dinner he hosted. We filled ourselves on a crab feast of epic proportions! He really spoiled us that go around. This time he knew he had a winner on his hands too. He made a bacon explosion, which gets rave reviews every time he makes it for us. We have had it a few ways, but this is his favorite way to make it and we all agree! This gets to the heart of the matter, bacon on pork on bacon. How could it not be fabulous?!
First he makes a basket weave of bacon.
- Cook a pound of bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside.
- Basket weave the other pound of bacon. Sprinkle with rub.
- Spread ground pork over bacon and drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of BBQ sauce.
- Spread crumbled bacon over the ground pork. Roll ground pork and cooked bacon into a tight roll. Then roll the basket weaved bacon over the ground pork roll.
- Place in low smoker for a couple of hours, or until it reaches 160 F. Or you could grill it over indirect heat if you don’t want to worry about smoking it. KC. used his gas grill as a smoker.
- Once the bacon explosion reaches temperature, spread remaining BBQ sauce over it and cook until warm and yummy.
- Let rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve!