Make life a little sweeter with a loaf of sourdough chocolate banana bread. It’s a fun breakfast or a great simple treat.
This chocolaty bread is loaded with banana. It’s soft, moist, flavorful and perfect with a cup of coffee, tea or milk. Plus it is a great way to use some sourdough discard too!
Sourdough starter needs to be fed regularly to keep it bubbling away happily. In order to keep from having your starter take over your entire kitchen, you usually discard part of the starter and let the rest bubble away for another baking day.
The problem is, I don’t like discarding the discard. Poor Big Bertha (my sourdough starter) worked hard. So I like to show her the respect of baking every bit.
Nine times out of ten the discard finds its way into a sourdough pizza crust. This has kept pizza on a regular rotation on our dinner menu and I’ve heard no complaints about that!
I also have a big affinity for sourdough muffins. They are another great way to use some discard.
I almost always have some bananas in the freezer. Lately they have mostly found themselves in smoothies, but as the weather turns colder they are likely to end up in a lot more baked goods.
So this bread is the culmination of the start of banana baking season and a hungry sourdough starter. The cross section of two forms of not wanting to waste any food turned into something delicious!
This bread is quick and easy to make. The addition of baking soda means you don’t have to wait for your starter to get going. It gets the boost it needs and keeps the banana bread texture we all know and love.
The chocolate of course makes it even better. I mean, it is chocolate after all. The cocoa powder gives a nice chocolate flavor throughout and the chocolate chips kick it to the next level of goodness.
This bread is moist and flavorful on its own and is also great with a bit of butter smeared over top.
Do you have a sourdough starter? What are your favorite ways to use the discard?
Sourdough Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup banana mashed
- 1 cup sourdough starter or discard straight from fridge is ok
- ½ cup oil vegetable, canola etc.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sugar, banana, sourdough starter, oil, egg and vanilla.1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup banana, 1 cup sourdough starter or discard, ½ cup oil, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.1½ cups all purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.½ cup chocolate chips
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.