Turn that sourdough discard into a delicious pizza crust! It is a great way to use your starter in a quick and easy recipe.
I have been wanting to share this recipe with you for quite some time… but our pizzas always disappear so quickly and I never measure what goes on top… so it is hard to post. But it is high time I tell you how we love to make our dough. Afterall, pizza is pizza and we need to be able to make lots of it!
This sourdough pizza crust is easy and delicious. It takes a little longer than a strictly traditional yeast dough, but it yields a soft and delicious crust. You can hasten it a bit if you need, but the longer proof time really gives that sourdough a chance to work its magic.
Do you have a favorite pizza dough recipe?
- 1 cup sourdough discard or starter straight from the fridge
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the sourdough starter in the warm water.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Turn onto a lightly floured counter top and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Place in a warm spot and allow to rise until doubled in size, about two hours depending on the heat of your kitchen. If you need it to rise faster, you can up the yeast by another 1/4 tsp or preheat your oven to 200°F, turn off the heat and then place the dough in the warm oven.
- Divide the dough in half and form each part into a ball. If you’d like, you can freeze one of them at this point. Otherwise, cover the dough with the damp cloth again and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. It is best to preheat a pizza stone or cast iron pizza pan at this stage also.
- Roll or press dough into a 12″ circle. Arrange your toppings over the dough.
- Carefully put prepared pizza in hot oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is beautifully bubbly and brown the the crust has a light golden brown color.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.