This brain shaped shrimp spread is the perfect topper for crackers. Shape it like a brain with cocktail sauce blood for a creepy Halloween party snack, but make it in other shapes for a yummy appetizer all year long.
This is the perfect creepy Halloween appetizer. The shrimp dip is molded into a brain shape with cocktail sauce blood. It is delicious and festive. Of course you could use any mold you have, but the brains make it extra fun!
I originally posted this recipe back in 2015. It was so good and we have made it every year since. I thought I would take some new pictures this year and update the post a bit.
Back then, Little Dude was only two and this combined some of his favorite things. Three years later, he still loves shrimp, cocktail sauce and crackers. So this still gets two thumbs up from him.
Not to mention he loved the blood brains. He as been reading a super fun body book and so he was intrigued seeing something that looks like brains and it feels almost like what you would imagine your brains to feel like as well!
Now I will let you read the original post from 2015:
EEEEEEEEK! They’ve all been eating my brains! Little Dude loves shrimp dip, so he was eating cracker after cracker loaded with this stuff. He kept asking for “more mommy brains!”
I am not sure if I should be proud or scared….
I have actually made this a few times now. Every time it gets a lot of fun first impression comments. Once somebody has the guts to cut into it, everyone loves eating it too.
My husband’s favorite holiday is Halloween and his birthday is just a few days before, so we normally have people over for a party at some point the week of Halloween.
People get dressed up, we make fun snacks (at least since I’ve been around) and everyone has a good time.
As more and more younguns get added to the group, the Halloween party isn’t quite what it used to be. That doesn’t mean we can’t still make fun snacks!
Make sure to check out all of the other fun Halloween recipes below too. Do you normally like cute Halloween treats? Or gory? Or spoooooky?
More fun Halloween treats:
- Ghosts in the Graveyard Trifle
- Pumpkin Jack-O-Lantern Cookies
- Maple Cinnamon Mummy Cookies
- Easy cheesy witches’ broomsticks
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Brain Shaped Shrimp Spread for Halloween
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ ounce unflavored gelatin one packet
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3-4 green onions or a handful of chives
- 2 cups shrimp roughly chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 dashes hot sauce
- Cocktail sauce and crackers for serving.
- Stir the gelatin into the water and set aside.¼ cup water, ¼ ounce unflavored gelatin
- In a large sauce pan over low heat, mix cream cheese and mushroom soup until completely smooth. Remove from heat.8 ounces cream cheese, 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- Stir in the gelatin and water mixture until well mixed.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients.3-4 green onions, 2 cups shrimp, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1-2 dashes hot sauce
- Pour into a greased mold. The brain is fun for Halloween, but you could do any shape you'd like.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Unmold brain and serve with cocktail sauce and crackers.