This pizza is loaded with delicious gooey cheese, bacon, apples and thyme. You will not believe how creamy and delicious it is, not to mention how good it smells!
Here I am with a pizza on #appleweek and it doesn’t involve a sugar cookie crust or any brown sugar. You didn’t expect that, did you? Me either! But here I am with a gooey, cheesy, melty, bacon topped pizza hoping you’ll like it.
Actually, I am sure you will! What’s not to love? There’s cheese! And apples! And BACON!
Whew, please forgive me. All of this apple fun has gone to my head!
Or pick up some pizza dough from the grocery store if that is more your speed, there is no judgement here!
As the dough was rising, prep the ingredients. You will want to scrub your apples and get the leaves off your thyme.
I knew that a bechamel that was lightly flavored with mustard would be a great base. It is so creamy and we love it on croque madame pizzas.
Let me tell you how good this smelled while it was baking. Then I sprinkled some fresh thyme on top when it came out and the aroma was amplified.
It was so hard to take the time to snap a few pictures for you. I really just wanted to dive in.
Honestly, I knew my husband and I would be in heaven. I was less sure what Little Dude and his friend would think. Luckily they kept telling me how good it was as they munched away.
In case you are worried about me after posting a healthy oatmeal recipe, a salad and a savory pizza on a week devoted to apples, you can click back to the applesauce cake to see I’m still my frosting loving self.
But don’t put your thermometers away just yet. I’ve got a pretty healthy fruit dip coming tomorrow, so you’ll likely have more worrying to do!
We are half way through the apple festivities and my must make list is a mile long(er!) What new recipes are you going to try?
Savory Apple Bacon Pizza
- Dough for 1 pizza crust
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon cooked crispy
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 475°F and preheat your pizza stone.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to cook for a minute or two. You don’t want it to take on much color, just cook the flour flavor out.
- Pour in the milk and continue to whisk and cook until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the mustard. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out pizza dough. (I like to assemble the pizza on parchment for easier transfer, but use whatever method you’d like.)
- Top dough with mustard béchamel. Cover with grated Gruyere. Arrange thinly slice apples and chopped bacon over cheese and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh thyme. Slice and enjoy!