These Hamburger Surprises have been enjoyed by at least 5 generations of our family. They are so delicious! Make them for your next BBQ for a special treat!
When I was growing up, we called Monday evenings “kids night.” My siblings and I got to pick the dinner.
When the weather was nice we also played yard games as a family. Hamburger Surprises were the most requested dinner for those fun kids nights.
They definitely were a family favorite. I enjoy making them for my “kids” and grandson too.
My cousin, Courtney, asked Carlee if she would share this recipe on her cooking blog. I’m guessing it has been years since she had them.
They must have made such an impression on her that she would remember them. I’m glad she made the request.
I had been looking forward to sharing this family favorite recipe with everyone.
We kids would help Maw-Maw put the burgers together while Paw-Paw fired up the grill. He would often changed the letters up a bit and say he was going to (f)art the stire.
Maw-Maw says she just made these burgers up. Similar burgers have been popular recently, but I had never heard of anything similar until a few years ago.
Paw-Paw liked to add Lawry’s Seasoned Salt as he was grilling them.
Please consider starting up the charcoal grill for this. They are very worth the effort!
I like a nice thick burger. At 1/2 pound of meat each they qualify as the perfect thickness.
You can eat 1/2 of one if that’s too big. My guess is you’ll enjoy it so much that you will want to eat the whole thing.
Sometimes we do show a little restraint and make a smaller burger patty and leave off the bacon wrapper. Either way the burgers are absolutely delicious!
Pops and I made these for our weekly family dinner and they were grilled to perfection. The meat was just right and the cheese was melted in the middle. Everyone enjoyed them.
Maw-Maw and I got to talking about these. She said she thinks mushrooms and Swiss cheese filling would be good. Sounds like the makings of another family dinner.
What are your favorite ways to jazz up a hamburger?
If you are looking for a fun weeknight dinner that is similar to burgers, but easier… try my maid rites. They are so quick and delicious!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Maw-Maw’s Hamburger Surprise
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 T finely diced onion
- 1 T your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 slice cheese from a block of cheese, we used white cheddar You can use shredded cheese too, you just want to be careful not to use too much if you want it to stay in the middle.
- 1 strip bacon
- Seasoned Salt
- Make two 1/4 pound hamburger patties.½ lb ground beef
- Top one patty with onion, BBQ sauce and cheese. Add second patty and pinch the edges together.1 T finely diced onion, 1 T your favorite BBQ sauce, 1 slice cheese
- Shape it into a bun sized circle. Wrap with bacon (optional but encouraged). Use a toothpick to hold in place.1 strip bacon
- Cook on medium hot grill. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Cook for about 8 minutes. Flip and grill for about 7 more minutes or until cooked to your likingSeasoned Salt