These sour cream cut out cookies have been one my family’s favorite cookies for decades. They are tender, flavorful and stay soft when you roll them out and cut them into shapes.
Soft sour cream cookies rolled out and cut into shapes are perfect for any special occasion. Make them for Christmas, Valentines day or birthday parties too.
My Aunt Marlene would never claim to be a cook. In fact, she often claims just the opposite.
However, I have never once been to her house and had there be a lack of yummy treats. So really she just sells herself short!
I remember her making these for us when we were kids. We had never had sour cream cookies before and we loved them!
Marlene got this recipe from her brother-in-law Mark’s mom and nobody who has tried them hasn’t liked them. When I asked her for the recipe, she did one better.
She brought a batch with her when she came to visit. This batch was rolled, cut and decorated and super cute!
I found out they are one of her family favorite holiday traditions. They do make for a perfect Christmas cookie.
They are softer than a regular sugar cookie and I find them a little harder to roll, but they take well to shapes. They sometimes puff a bit as they bake, but don’t spread too much so you can cut them into basic shapes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Store Sour Cream Cookies?
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-5 days. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. They are best stored in a single layer, or with parchment paper between layers to keep them from sticking to each other.
Can I change up the flavor of these cookies?
You can add different flavor extracts to match your flavor preferences. Almond extract would be good or try adding a little bit of lemon zest for a unique flavor.
More Great Cookies
If you like tender cookies, chocolate sour cream cookies might be perfect for you. You can scoop and bake them or roll them out like these. It is definitely another one of our favorite sour cream cookie recipes.
Maybe you are looking for a cookie with crisper edges and a little more buttery crunch. In that case, make some of our favorite cut-out sugar cookies.
If you are in the mood for something quicker, try making soft sugar cookie bars instead. You don’t have to chill the dough or cut it into shapes, just press it into a pan and bake it to perfection.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Sour Cream Cut Out Cookies
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream together sugar and butter. Mix in eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just incorporated. The dough will be soft.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Place dough on a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut into fun shapes. Place on cookie sheet, leaving at least an inch between cookies.
- Bake at 350°F for 5-10 minutes depending on size of cookies. For soft cookies, you want them to be set but very light in color when they are done.
- Cool baked cookies for 3-5 minutes on baking sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.