A creamy vanilla ice cream kissed with brown sugar and loaded withf homemade cookie dough chunks, this is a dessert that’s hard to top. Give that ice cream maker a workout and make some today!
Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is a perennial favorite for good reason. Of course that reason is it’s delicious! This homemade version is super creamy and extra good. Make a batch to see for yourself!
MiMi originally shared this ice cream recipe with us in the summer of 2015. She was on one heck of a roll making great frozen desserts.
Now that I have an ice cream maker, I have been going back and remaking some of our favorites.
My ice cream loving husband ranks this and her blackberry ice cream among his favorites. After his first bite of this batch he declared I needed to make more.
He liked it that much, he knew however big the batch was, it wasn’t big enough. Fair, I suppose.
As the weather warms up it will be handy to have all of our favorite recipes refreshed with printable recipe cards. So pin your favorites now so you’re ready!
Here is what MiMi had to say in 2015:
This summer has been a summer full of creating homemade ice cream recipes for my family. I have also gotten into making Texas style sheet cakes.
I develop a sheet cake recipe and then make an ice cream recipe to go with it. For the cookie dough sheet cake I made this cookie dough ice cream.
I didn’t want to just add cookie dough chunks to vanilla ice cream. After thinking about it, I realized the only change I would need to make to my vanilla ice cream recipe would be to use only brown sugar as the sweetener.
The cookie dough bits are so tasty that I wasn’t sure they were going to make it into the ice cream. Carlee’s brother, Collin, was here to taste test.
Every time I turned my back I caught him sneaking more bits. Luckily the recipe made more than what I needed to put into the ice cream.
The taste tester of the family also has to taste the ice cream base. He kept taking bits of cookie dough and dipping it into the ice cream that was left on the freezer bowl.
I knew I had a hit on my hands!
My family really enjoyed this ice cream. Just wait until you try the cake that I made to go with it. I’ll share that recipe also!
A note from Carlee:
You guys, in case you can’t tell by looking at it, this ice cream is GOOOOOD! The brown sugar in the base really makes all the difference.
This might be one of my favorite MiMi ice creams yet, and that is really saying something!
Storing Ice Cream:
MiMi also wanted to share that she has a new favorite way to store her ice cream. She found these Tovolo Glide-A-Scoop containers that fit in the freezer well, stack easily and store nicely. She already has a couple and is getting ready to order more. (They certainly did not sponsor this in any way, MiMi just really likes them!)
I got fun quart sized containers that are reusable and dishwasher safe that I like as well. No matter how it’s stored, the ice cream tends to disappear quickly around here!
Ice Cream Maker Recommendations
MiMi has a couple kitchenaid ice cream maker attachments for her stand mixer. She loves them and makes all of her ice cream with them.
I recently got a cuisinart ice cream maker. You freeze the bowl ahead of using it much like the kitchenaid attachment.
I have only had it for a couple of months and have made several batches of ice cream already. So far so good and it doesn’t take up a ton of room for storage, no more than a food processor.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Cookie Dough Bites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Cookie Dough Bites
- Beat the butter and sugars together.
- Mix together the vanilla and milk.
- Stir together the flour and salt.
- Alternately add the flour and milk mixtures to the butter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper. Press the cookie dough onto cookie sheet to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Place in freezer while making the ice cream base.
- With an immersion blender, beat the eggs (MiMi does this in a ball jar) until they are light and foamy. This takes about a minute.
- Slowly add in the brown sugar, until well incorporated. (About two minutes)
- Add vanilla.
- In a large measuring bowl, mix together the cream and milk. Gently stir in the egg mixture. (you don't want to beat it at this point, the air is already added to the eggs)
- Pour into your ice cream maker and make according to your maker's directions.
- Remove cookie dough from freezer and cut or break off bits of cookie dough the size you would like them in your ice cream.
- Stir cookie dough bits into the ice cream as soon as it is done churning.
- Store in the freezer until frozen.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.