Gooey pecan dream bars are the perfect mix of soft and gooey with a little bit of pecan crunch. They use a box cake mix, toffee bits, and sweetened condensed milk to make an easy but memorable dessert.
If you like gooey butter cake and pecan pie, you are going to love these tasty gooey pecan dream bars. They have a texture and flavor that will remind you a little bit of both in a super simple to make recipe.
Making These Easy Bars
The base is a lot like you would make for a gooey butter cake. You just take softened butter, an egg and a cake mix and stir it together.
It may seem a bit crumbly at first, but it should press into a nice crust on the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan. Just trust the process and get it spread evenly.
Then mix together some toffee bits (like the Heath ones you find in the baking aisle), pecans and a can of sweetened condensed milk. Pour that mixture over the crust and bake until the top is golden and bubbly.
The toffee bits melt into the condensed milk adding rich depth of flavor. They also help set the mixture up and hold everything together.
Make sure your bars are good and cool before you cut and serve them. They will taste amazing warm, but will look quite messy if you don’t give them a chance to set up.
Tips and Tricks
A number of different cake mixes work for this recipe. Try using white, yellow, butter or even chocolate.
Be sure to use sweetened condensed milk not evaporated milk.
English Toffee Bits are found in the baking aisle by the chocolate chips. Get the ones without chocolate on them.
Do not over bake, you want the center to be a bit gooey. The bars will continue to set up as they cool.
Store your pecan bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
What to do With the Rest of the English Toffee Bits:
- Use them to make a peanut butter toffee cheesecake
- Or make butterscotch toffee cookies
- Stir some into your favorite chocolate chip cookies
- Sprinkle them over ice cream
- Stir them into your coffee or hot chocolate
More Pecan Dessert Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 1 large egg
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Mix together cake mix, softened butter and the egg. The mixture may be a little bit crumbly.
- Press the crust into the bottom of the greased pan.
- Stir together the condensed milk, pecans and toffee bits. Spread over the crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.