Funfetti sugar cookie bars are soft, delicious and covered in sprinkle filled buttercream. Plus when you bake cookies as bars, it makes everything so quick and easy with no chilling of the dough or rotating trays of cookies through the oven.
If you love soft sugar cookies topped with frosting, you are going to love these yummy sprinkle filled cookie bars. They are perfect for birthdays, parties and more.
You start by making a dough based on butter and cream cheese. The cream cheese helps to keep that super soft texture in the final bars.
Add in the standard cookie ingredients like sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Then you stir in a whole cup of colorful sprinkles.
Use colors to match your party theme or use a standard mix. Just be sure to use the longer jimmy style sprinkles, not the smaller ball style nonpareils.
The nonpareil sprinkles have a tendency to melt into the dough and create a muddled effect. The larger sprinkles tend to have more distinct color bits after baked.
Little Dude created the sprinkle mix we used and he had a great time combining the colors. So do whatever makes you happy.
Press the dough into a 10×15-inch pan. It makes the perfect thickness of cookie.
However, if you don’t have a 10×15, you can use a 9×13. Just add a few minutes to the bake time to make up for the addition depth.
The cookies will be extra thick, but if you family is like mine, that won’t be a problem!
Decorating your Funfetti Cookie Bars
These cookies are fabulous on their own. They aren’t overly sweet and are super fun.
You could use a plain crusting buttercream if you prefer or dye it a fun color. Then add a few more sprinkles on top to really drive the point home.
We piped simple stars on our bars for more fun. Just be sure to use a large tip if you are using funfetti buttercream so the sprinkles don’t clog the tip.
You can just spread the frosting on top if you prefer. Either way, it is going to look great and taste amazing.
More great cookie bar recipes
Bake up a batch of frosted oatmeal cookie bars. They are chewy and have a touch of molasses in them so they taste like oatmeal cream pies.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup jimmy style sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 10×15-inch pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Bet together butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.1 cup butter, 8 oz. cream cheese
- Add sugar and whip until it is fully incorporated and the mixture is fluffy.1½ cups granulated sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla, stirring to combine.1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture.2½ cups all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Gently fold in sprinkles.1 cup jimmy style sprinkles
- Press dough into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes. The edges should be lightly golden and the center should be mostly set.
- Allow to cool completely before topping with your favorite buttercream recipe. Funfetti buttercream makes an extra fun topping!