Frankenstein cupcakes are such a cute Halloween treat. Whip up a super easy batch of homemade chocolate cupcakes and green buttercream. Then with just a couple of minutes of no skill required decorating, you can have a fun dessert.
Holiday treats are so much fun to make. Halloween treats are especially fun.
You can even go the pumpkin patch route and make pumpkin dirt pudding cups. And if you like dirt pudding, you are going to love the fun recipe that is coming soon!
But with all of those options, these Frankenstein cupcakes are among the cutest. The best part is you don’t need a ton of cake decorating experience or skills to make.
They are so easy and so darn cute. They are sure to be a hit at your holiday festivities.
Making the cupcakes
There is a super simple recipe for homemade chocolate cupcakes below. The batter comes together in just a few minutes.
You don’t need any special equipment outside of a cupcake pan and the ingredients are pantry staples. They are so easy and tasty you might keep making them for all sorts of events throughout the year.
However, you can use your favorite cupcakes. Feel free to use a cake mix if you want or make whatever flavor you want.
Just be aware that you may need more frosting if you are making a larger batch of cupcakes.
Frosting your Frankensteins
Start by whipping up some simple homemade American buttercream frosting. It is so simple, there is no reason to not make your own.
Plus homemade frosting tastes so much better. And that way you can make it just the consistency you like.
Use food coloring gel to make old Franky green and you are ready to go. Make what amounts to a high top on your cupcake.
Add little candy eyeballs and some hair and Frank is ready to go. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
More cute holiday cupcakes
Instead of making individual cupcakes, make a Jack Skellington cupcake pull apart cake. It is fun to pull a cupcake out of the bigger dessert.
For Easter, make cute Easter bunny cupcakes. They are super fun and really easy to do as well!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 2½ cup all purposeflour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Green food coloring
- Chocolate sprinkles (for decoration)
- Candy eyes (for decoration)
- Brown Chocolate M&M’s (for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and put liners in 12 cupcake wells.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until it is creamy and fluffy,
- Then add milk and oil, mixing until combined.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to the liquid mixture and mix on low until just combined.
- Spoon cake batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The cupcakes are done when the tops spring back after being lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Stir in milk a little at a time and then beat until fluffy. Adjust consistency by adding a little more milk or powdered sugar as needed.
- Add food coloring until you reach your desired color.
- Make a flat mound of frosting on each cupcake.
- Add candy eyes on the front, sprinkle hair on top and m&m bolts on the sides of his head. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.