This simplified version of chicken piccata is a great weeknight meal but is nice enough to serve to guests. Just a few simple ingredients and couple of quick steps and dinner is done!
Chicken piccata is a quick and easy dinner that is bright and flavorful but totally doable on a weeknight. I just love meals like this that can be dressed up for guests or whipped together for the family on a random Wednesday evening.
You can take it easy on yourself, but nobody you serve will be the wiser!
I really don’t know why I don’t think to make chicken piccata more often. Every time I do, my husband loves it!
The mix of bright lemon, the brininess from the capers and the complexity added with white wine gets him every time.
This recipe takes it to the next level with the addition of artichoke hearts. Of course he was singing its praises from the first bite.
Little Dude was a big fan too, so I think we are about to go through a chicken piccata phase at our house!
Luckily this dish can be put together in under an hour and most of that time is spent letting it simmer, so it really is easy peasy! You can put your feet up for a bit or get something else done and the next thing you know, dinner is ready.
You could make it even quicker if you buy chicken cutlets or if you want to spend the time butterflying and pounding out chicken breasts. I always have chicken breasts on hand and would personally rather let them simmer a bit than go through the effort of making them cutlets myself.
If I were serving guests and I really wanted to impress, I would probably alter the directions a bit. However for us, this no fuss version is perfectly delicious and the ease of preparation means it is much more likely to be made on a regular basis!
We like to serve ours with some noodles dressed simply in a bit of butter and/or olive oil, Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. A bed of rice is another great serving suggestion.
If you are a fan of lemon and chicken together, take a flavor tour through Europe and enjoy some more lemon chicken goodness. Start with a bowl of Greek lemon chicken soup that you can make in your slow cooker or instant pot.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Chicken Piccata with Artichoke Hearts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup capers
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts packed in water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, then dredge the chicken breasts in it.
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil. Stir in the garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pan, cooking about 3 minutes on each side.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pan with the white wine, then simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, capers and artichokes. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken tests done and the sauce is thickened.
- Stir in the butter until melted and serve.