A medley of summer vegetables that are a perfectly hearty side dish but without a lot of fuss. Let the veggies themselves shine in this succotash like dish.
Fresh summer vegetables come together for this simple and healthy side dish. It can be easily adapted to include your favorite veggies or what you happen to have on hand. It is filling, flavorful and perfect with almost any entree.
During the winter we tend to eat a lot of the same vegetables over and over. We have our favorite frozen veggies and we just eat them on repeat.
We do it mostly because we know we should have our veggies, but to be honest buying and fixing the same few things over and over is dull. It’s just hard to get inspired to break the routine and do anything else.
During the summer, that isn’t an issue. Getting our recommended servings of vegetables is much easier when fresh produce is flowing through the door! Sometimes we have so much it is hard to keep up!
We are still getting loads of greens from our CSA. Plus we are getting zucchini and summer squash in our boxes plus more zucchini and patty pan squashes from my brother. So I have taken it as a personal challenge to keep it all interesting as we eat our weight in vegetables each week.
For some reason I have had my mind on succotash recently. I don’t know why as slimy canned lima beans have forever made me believe I don’t like them.
I found that to be untrue a few years back when I tried some my late “aunt” Sandra fixed at Thanksgiving, but the perception still lingers. So I thought it would be fun to switch up that idea using an assortment of the veggies we had on hand and our favorite chickpeas.
Greens are not generally a part of succotash, but we had a beautiful bunch of rainbow chard and I just couldn’t help wilting it in. The results were delicious!
We served ours alongside some chipotle lime chicken breasts. It was a flavorful meal and we all ate our fill.
I purposely made a ton of vegetable medley so I could take the rest for lunch during the week. What a healthy and filling way to get over the hump and finish out the work day!
What are your favorite ways to use up a ton of summer veggies?
Did you make this great recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 small zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups corn
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- optional: 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the onions begin to get translucent.
- Add the zucchini and fennel. Cook, stirring frequently until they are tender-crisp.
- Add the chickpeas and corn and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until warmed through.
- Stir in the chard and cover, cooking until the chard is wilted. Stir in fresh thyme if using and season with salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.