This simple side dish of sauteed cabbage and potatoes with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese has been a favorite in my family for decades.
It is a great savory side dish that even people who think they don’t like cabbage like in spite of themselves. The Parmesan cheese adds a surprising layer of flavor that makes it extra delicious.
Cooked cabbage and potatoes is a simple side dish that goes perfectly with chicken or pork. We love it with ham, grilled meats, and roasts.
Chopped cabbage is cooked with red skinned potatoes, onions, butter, and chicken broth. The liquid is cooked off until what you are left with is soft and flavorful.
We love adding a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. It adds a little bit of richness and a great depth of flavor.
Once you try it, you won’t want to eat your cabbage any other way. This is definitely a favorite in our family and has been for decades.
Why You Will Love Sauteed Cabbage and Potatoes
It is economical and filling. Cabbage and potatoes are both inexpensive, so this is a great way to fill you up without breaking the bank.
You can turn it into a meal if you want. Just add some leftover ham or some sliced kielbasa. The meat will turn this into a hearty meal that is perfect served with skillet cornbread or some corn muffins.
This also makes a great side dish to go with some corned beef. It would be a perfect option if you don’t feel like doing a big batch of corned beef and cabbage.
While this dish is very similar to Southern smothered cabbage, this is a bit different. My grandma and I came up with the recipe when I was quite small.
We were spitballing ingredients, trying to come up with something new to make. The result of that conversation was this recipe with Caveder’s seasoning and a healthy dose of Parmesan at the end.
If you haven’t had Parmesan on your cabbage, you are missing out. It sounds a little strange, but they really go well together.
We all fell in love immediately. My extended family started calling it Carlee’s cabbage, and we had it pretty regularly throughout my childhood.
Now I make it for my family as well. We tend it eat it a lot in the spring and again in the summer when we are getting cabbages from the garden and our CSA.
More Great Cabbage Recipes
Unstuffed cabbage skillet is another fabulous meal. It has the flavors you would expect in stuffed cabbage without all of the effort.
Cabbage and Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoons Cavender’s seasoning
- ½ teaspoons garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash and slice the potatoes into relatively thin slices. Remove the core from the cabbage and cut into pieces about 1 inch x 1 inch.2 medium potatoes, 1 small head cabbage
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and potatoes. Cook until the onions are translucent and potatoes are mostly cooked through.2 Tablespoons butter, 1 cup diced onion
- Throw in the cabbage, stock and spices. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.1 cup chicken stock, 1½ teaspoons Cavender’s seasoning, ½ teaspoons garlic
- Remove the cover and cook until liquid is basically gone
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.½ cup grated Parmesan cheese