A classic bread pudding spiced with cinnamon and dotted with raisins is taken to the next level with a thick and buttery caramelized maple sauce. It is definitely an old timey comfort food dessert!
Soft and custardy bread pudding with just enough golden crunchy bits on top. This recipe definitely evokes a bit of nostalgia. The raisins and bit of cinnamon help give this bread pudding that homey feeling you know and love. I decided to do something a bit different with the sauce though. Caramelized maple syrup takes this dessert to the next level of deliciousness!
I’m on a warm comfort food streak lately and this seemed to fit the bill. I made bread pudding for my dad as it is one of his favorites.
This isn’t my dad’s recipe. I’m not actually sure that he’s ever made bread pudding. However my grandma knows she isn’t allowed to make it without letting him know!
I do hope to do a couple of my dad’s recipes as time goes on. He makes his own summer sausage, jerky, hot sauce and is a master of the grill. In the mean time, this is a recipe in his honor.
This isn’t necessarily my grandma’s recipe either, though has a similar feel. My guess is she normally does it a lot like I would and adds whatever feels right at the time!
However, I have heard that she has her mom’s recipe so I will have to try to get my hands on that! I love cooking from my grandma and great-grandma’s recipe boxes!
I wasn’t in the mood for any of the sauces I saw online, so I just made something up. I’d say it was a smashing success.
The bread pudding was soft and moist on the inside with delicious crunchy crust on top. The sauce was sweet and warm and creamy and maple-y and caramelly and gooey and yummy.
So if you have a hankering for something comforting and nostalgic, this is for you. Or if you just happen to have some stale bread that needs to be turned into something amazing!
Do you have a favorite version of bread pudding? I’d love to read all about it!
- About a half loaf of stale bread
- 5 eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz raisins
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Tear bread into bite sized pieces
- Layer half the bread in the bottom of a greased 8″ pan
- Spread half the raisins over the bread
- Repeat with remaining bread and raisins
- Mix together the milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon and sugar
- Pour over bread
- Bake for 60 minutes or until set in the middle
- When almost ready to serve, bring syrup, brown sugar, and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Cook for five minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then add milk. Stir until smooth. Sauce should be warm but not still boiling.
- Serve sauce over (or under) bread pudding. I love it while it is still warm, but it is good at room temperature as well. Just warm the sauce before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 2gSugar: 55gProtein: 11g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.