Berries and a sweet, crunchy oatmeal topping are just meant to go together! Serve this blackberry crunch with some vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream for a summertime dessert win!
Sweet and tart blackberry filling topped with copious amounts of oatmeal topping makes for a delicious crisp. Take fresh or frozen blackberries and turn them into this fabulous dessert.
It is great on its own but even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! This is a perfect summertime dessert!
Our blackberry bushes are in full production right now! We were lucky enough to have a patch of thornless vines going already at this house when we moved in, and this year is looking to provide a bumper crop.
The only problem is it feels like it has been raining non-stop for months. The lack of sunshine has lead to berries that are a little more tart than normal.
Little Dude loves picking the berries. He likes to point out the ones that aren’t ready and collect the dark berries. He doesn’t mind that they are tart.
The neighbor boy doesn’t either. I’ll eat a few while picking, but not as many as normal. It’s ok, I love baking with them anyway and I knew they would be perfect with a little added sugar! 😉
I normally rinse the extra berries and freeze them for baking later. Each year though, there is a day when I can’t help myself and the berries need to be baked now!
I usually use that opportunity to bake a pie. I love a blackberry pie filled with enough lemon juice and rind that you can really taste the lemon as well.
There is just something about berries and lemon together that gets me every time. I thought about doing that, but settled on a crisp.
More great blackberry recipes:
Blackberry ice cream is one of our favorite summer treats of all time. It is smooth, creamy and delicious!
Or turn those berries into a fabulous double crust blackberry pie! It is flaky, fruity and fabulous!
Blackberry clafoutis is almost like a cross between a dutch baby pancake and custard. It is lightly sweet and super tasty!
- 6 cups blackberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons coconut oil, solid (can use butter instead)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a greased 8 in square pan, 8 inch oven-safe skillet or 2.5 quart baking dish, mix together blackberries, sugar, and corn starch and let sit for as you gather everything else up.
- Stir in the maple syrup, lemon juice and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the coconut in the bowl with the dry ingredients and using a couple of knives (or your fingers) work the mixture until it is crumbly and well mixed.
- Spread topping over berries and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- I like it best served warm with MiMi's homemade vanilla ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 8gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.