Bacon and bruschetta get all cozy together is a fun cheese ball that is a perfect summer appetizer.
Summer is definitely here, even if the calendar says it’s a few weeks off. The tomato plants are blooming and outdoor entertaining season is upon us. Now that there are kiddos in the mix, that means we tend to get together earlier for get togethers and scatter not too long after dinner gets off the grill.
Earlier start times mean snacks are in order. This cheese ball is a perfect make ahead starter that everyone will love.
Grab some basil from the garden and some of those fresh tomatoes that will be here soon and make this puppy ahead of time. Then just garnish and grab some crackers or sliced baguettes and you are ready to go!
Not in the mood to make a cheese ball? Just put it in a bowl and sprinkle with the bacon breadcrumbs for an even lower fuss appetizer.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I can totally see this spread in a small casserole and baked. Doesn’t that just sound lovely? It would be a gooey, cheesy, bacony warm cheese dip. Now I can’t wait to give that a go!
I brought this as a starter for our Memorial Day cookout at my parents’. The family put a pretty big dent in it. Little Dude was convinced he found the cheesy spot and put a decent crater in it himself.
I left what was leftover because I needed all of the fridge space (and calories!) for wedding dessert prep. My mom sent a text later that evening saying there was a celebration when it was discovered in the fridge! 😊
So if you would like to be the cause of the next celebration, I suggest you whip up this cheese ball. They are always a hit!
For more cheese ball inspiration, check out these cheesy recipes:
- 2 slices bread, or about 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound crispy bacon, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and dried
- 3 Tablespoons basil
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 roma tomatoes
- a pinch each of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- If using slices of bread, process them in your food processor to make crumbs or tear them into very small bits. Chop the bacon and place half of it in a skillet. Toast the bread crumbs with the bacon and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to get it all toasty and covered with bacon and garlic goodness.
- I like to let the food processor do the work for me when making cheese balls. So, I processed the roma tomatoes, the other half of the bacon and the basil until it was pretty finely chopped. Alternatively, you could do that with a knife.
- Mix the basil, sun dried tomato mixture with the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and the other 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir (or process) in cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan and balsamic vinegar.
- Chop the roma tomatoes and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon onto a piece of plastic wrap. I like to wrap the cheese mixture and use the plastic wrap to help me shape the ball. Refrigerate for at least an hour to firm up the cheese ball.
- Roll the ball in the bacon bread crumbs. Garnish with additional chopped tomatoes and basil if desired. Serve with toasted baguette slices or crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 329mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.