Individual sized baby sweet potato cakes served with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle of sticky caramel sauce are a perfect fall dessert. They are cozy, flavorful and sure to become a favorite treat.
These cute mini sweet potato cakes are filled with the flavors of fall. They are good on their own, but a drizzle of sticky caramel sauce takes them to the next level.
They would be a perfect way to end a dinner party or would be right at home on your Thanksgiving menu.
Sweet potatoes are not just for casseroles and pies. They also make delicious little tender cakes!
This recipe is originally from the Southern Living Cake Book. I couldn’t help myself when I saw these scrumptious sweet potato baby cakes.
I have never had a sweet potato cake though. I knew I would love it.
Luckily we had a nice cool weekend last weekend. Perfect for baking with sweet potato, ginger, cinnamon and caramel!
The cakes turned out super moist with a great crumb. Pops and I both thought you could really pick out the sweet potato flavor, K.C. wan’t so sure.
All of the plates were licked clean with no complaints though, so that is a win! The caramel sauce was a perfect compliment to the warm flavor of the cake.
I was surprised to see the instant coffee in the caramel recipe. It really did add a nice depth of flavor without really tasting like coffee.
It also deepened the color a bit, which was nice. It was a very tasty treat to be sure!
More great fall treats
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Sweet Potato Cakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 16 oz. can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a muffin tin.
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time until completely incorporated.
- Add vanilla, salt, ginger, cinnamon and sweet potatoes. Beat until smooth. Stir in buttermilk.
- Mix flour and baking soda together. Stir into wet mixture until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin, filling each hole 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan.
- To make the sauce, place butter and sugar in a saucepan and warm over medium heat until completely melted and sugar dissolves. Whisk in cream and instant coffee. Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool some before serving.
- Serve each cake with a couple of tablespoons of sauce. Best served warm with some homemade vanilla ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.