This Maple Crunch Sweet Potato Casserole is a smooth maple kissed filling topped with a perfectly crumbly and filled with oats and pecans. Your holiday table won’t be complete without it!
Fall and winter holidays call for sweet potatoes. They are definitely a Thanksgiving staple but also go well with a Christmas ham. Come to think of it, they’re delicious with an Easter ham or just because it’s dinner time pork roast as well!
So we normally do the sensible thing and have both!
Last year I was in charge of the sweet potato casserole for the big family Thanksgiving. MiMi made the kind with marshmallows.
Of course I couldn’t just follow a recipe. I wanted it to be different.
So I added maple syrup instead of sugar to give those warm maple notes. Then I added oats to the topping. The results were phenomenal!
There are usually two to three dozen people, so the recipe I made filled a lasagna pan. I couldn’t wait to make it again this year, but we had a much smaller gathering. Plus only a couple of us normally eat the sweet potatoes.
So I scaled back the recipe and adjusted the filling to topping ratio a bit, because more topping never hurt a thing! I must say the results were scrumptious.
How does your family eat sweet potatoes at holidays? Do you have a debate over how to fix them?
- Sweet Potatoes
- 80-100 oz sweet potatoes, depending on the size cans you find
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8 or 9-inch square casserole
- Drain the sweet potatoes really well. Place in a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Stir in the maple syrup, salt, vanilla, eggs, and butter until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 9gSugar: 32gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.