5 minute mac and cheese allows you to have a single serving of creamy cheesy pasta in a jiffy. This easy recipe basically makes instant macaroni and cheese and it’s so simple a kid can do it without help. It is perfect for lunch or a quick and filling snack.
Make yourself a delicious bowl of macaroni and in just a few minutes. The best part is you likely have the ingredients on hand already.
This recipe is a great hearty after school snack or lunch that older children can make on their own. It would also make a super simple meat free meal for adults too, it is perfect for any age.
If you happen to have the little prepackaged single serve bowls of microwave mac and cheese in your cabinet, take them to the food pantry and bookmark this recipe. It tastes better, is customizable and basically takes no effort.
Tips and tricks
Use any small shape of pasta that leaves room for the liquid to surround the noodles. Elbow macaroni, shells, rotini and similar shapes work well.
You can also use whatever cheese you like as well. Just choose something that melts well.
Sharp cheddar gives a big bold cheesy flavor whereas Colby jack gives a nice mild comforting finish. Of course you can mix and match as well.
You can also easily adjust the seasonings. Little Dude likes his pretty plain.
However if you like a little mustard powder, paprika or garlic in your macaroni, feel free to add some. Just remember how small the batch is, a little goes a long way.
Also, be sure to pick a large enough bowl. The water will foam and bubble a bit, so pick a bowl that could easily accommodate at least 2 cups.
That way you won’t have a boil over mess to clean. Cleaning the microwave is never fun!
The last word of warning should be a pretty obvious one, but the bowl will be hot. So be careful when taking it out.
Allow the macaroni and cheese to cool off for a few minutes after it is done cooking. The cheese sauce will thicken a bit as it sits too.
More easy snacks kids can make
Mug cakes are another fun small batch treat. I have a recipe for a peppermint white chocolate mug cake that is fun, maybe it’s time to make some more!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1/3 cup elbow macaroni (or other pasta shape)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded colby jack cheese (or your favorite melting cheese)
- Pick a large bowl or mug than you think you'll need to account for the boiling water. Then spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Add pasta and water to prepared bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed. If not. cook a little bit longer until there is almost no water left.
- Stir in milk and cheese. Microwave in 30 second bursts until the cheese is melted and the pasta is cooked to your liking. It's ok if it is a little bit runny at this point, it will thicken as it cools.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two and then dig in!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.