Acorn squash tastes even more fabulous when stuffed with buttery pecans, dates, and brown sugar goodness. Make it even faster with the help of an electric pressure cooker.
Brown sugar, pecans and acorn squash are quintessential fall flavors. Why not marry them together in a slightly decadent but totally amazing side dish.
Winter squash is rolling in! I love seeing all of the fabulous types and appreciate the wonderful varieties local farmers grow.
Our CSA has been including fabulous spaghetti, butternut, acorn, buttercup and more.
I am hoping delicata squash is still coming. Last year I made some honey roasted delicata with cranberries that was so good and I’m hoping to make it again!
Anyway, with the pile of squash growing it is time to crank out some new recipes. It’s fun to have a variety to pull from when the season arrives.
We really love the more savory preparations like Parmesan roasted acorn squash in the air fryer. But my old neighbors introduced me to acorn squash stuffed with butter and brown sugar and I was instantly hooked.
So I thought it would be fun to create a slight twist on that idea and make it even easier and faster with the help of a pressure cooker.
This recipe can easily be adapted to meet your dietary and flavor preferences. However the combination of brown sugar, butter and pecans is hard to beat.
Dates add a nice texture and more natural sweetness. The final combination is the ultimate in candied acorn goodness.
Addition and Substitution ideas:
- If you don’t have dates, try raisins or dried cranberries.
- A sprinkle of cinnamon would be delicious!
- A grating of orange zest over the top would be amazing as well.
If you would rather bake your acorn squash in the oven, that’s not a problem! Get it halved, cleaned and stuffed then bake it at 400 F for 50-60 minutes. It should be fork tender and delicious!
Now tell me your favorite varieties of squash and your favorite recipes. I’d love to hear all about it!
Instant Pot Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup dates chopped
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out all of the seeds and pulp. Put squash halves in an instant pot safe pan. (You may have to do one at a time depending on the size of your squash and pan.)
- Mix together the brown sugar, dates and pecans. Place half of the mixture in each squash half.
- Cut the butter into small pats and place them over the filling in the squash.
- Pour a cup of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker, then put the pan on the rack.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and be sure the vent is set to closed.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow to naturally vent for 5 minutes and then manually vent.