Your breakfast just got an upgrade. This giant sweet roll is stuffed with cream cheese, fresh strawberries and tons of flavor. It’s so much fun to slice and serve!
Breakfast just got better! Imagine a skillet filled with one gigantic cinnamon roll… but instead of being filled with cinnamon it’s filled with strawberries and cream cheese. It is so good! You can cut yourself a small piece or go for the gusto. It’s a perfect breakfast or brunch all spring long.
I have had this idea for a little while now, I was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to try it. The three of us don’t need to eat a sweet treat this size all by ourselves.
With a dozen people coming over, it seemed like a good time to make it a part of the menu. Plus, I had plenty of other options if this didn’t work. Luckily it wasn’t a problem. It got rave reviews!
Aunt Donna had mentioned putting cream cheese in the giant cinnamon roll post I had a while back. But I wanted to switch up the flavor profile all together and make it part sweet roll and part strawberry cheesecake.
So it is layers of whole wheat sweet roll dough around a cream cheese filling and slices of fresh strawberries. A little glaze on top and it is a perfect spring treat.
I made it for dessert and it was gone before the night was over! It would be a really great breakfast as well!
If you love the skillet roll concept, but would like to try something with more autumnal flavors, check out my pumpkin spice skillet roll with maple brown butter glaze. It is a fabulous fall breakfast!
Have you ever tried making a giant cinnamon roll? What twists would you put on yours?
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or additional ap flour)
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 pound strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in your mixer bowl. Add warm milk, butter and egg. Mix until completely combined.
- Scrape down sides, then attach your dough hook. Allow it to work the dough on low for five minutes.
- Transfer dough into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour. The dough is ready when you touch it and the indent stays down.
- Pat or roll out into a 12 x 20-inch square on a floured surface.
- Mix together cream cheese, egg, vanilla and sugar. Spread over dough. Cut into two inch strips. Spread sliced strawberries over cream cheese mixture.
- Roll the first strip and place in the center of a greased 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add the rest of the strips in circles around the center.
- Let dough rise to double again. You can let it rise on the counter for another hour, or in the fridge overnight.
- Bake at 350°F for thirty minutes
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Drizzle glaze over hot roll.
- Allow to cool slightly, but it is best served while still warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.