This is a great weekend breakfast or weeknight brinner. Bagels, cream cheese and berries are a match made in heaven. Whipping up a little berry syrup takes it to the next level!
I think I am still in a breakfast frame of mind after all of the fun brunch posts last month. Did you find a new favorite? I know we certainly did.
We will be making the Parmesan Polenta Brunch Bowls and Croque Madame Waffles for brinner plenty this year and I’ve already done another twist on the Pineapple Sweet Rolls that was delicious. So I hope you are ready for more breakfast items, because this week is full of them!
Of course we almost always eat our breakfast food for dinner, so don’t feel like this has to be served in the morning.
In fact, if you make this just a tad bit sweeter and perhaps serve it with some maple whipped cream, you would have a delicious bread pudding style dessert. As it was, I tried to keep the sugar down a bit so the berries could shine and then I made a simple berry syrup that tied it all together and took it to the next level.
All you need to make this is some bagels. I used plain bagels, but blueberry bagels or any of your sweeter bagels would do.
Can you imagine this with a cinnamon crunch bagel? I can too! There are so many ways you could switch it up based on what you have on hand.
The berries are customizable too. We have been busy harvesting the last of our strawberries from our patch out back, so I used those and some blueberries I had.
You could mix up whatever berries you have or use some frozen ones if you are making this out of season. It will all be good!
Of course both bagels and berries call for cream cheese. It’s like they were all meant to go together.
I was tempted to make it a cheesecake type mixture, but in the end decided straight cream cheese would be more breakfast-y and again would help keep it from getting overly sweet. Just look at me using self restraint all over the place!
Will somebody please notify my mom? I don’t want all of this restraint to go unnoticed! 😉
I kid! (But really, can somebody make sure she knows?!)
This is a great weekend breakfast because you mix it of the night before and then bake it off in the morning while you drink your coffee and get ready for the day. It is also a great weeknight dinner served with some scrambled eggs and sausage.
You can throw it together in the morning (or the night before) and throw it in the oven when you come in the door. Then kick your feet up for a few minutes and prepare to be delighted!
- 6 bagels, plain or sweet
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced or roughly chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- Spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Chop bagels into bite sized pieces and place enough in the pan to cover the bottom.
- Cut cream cheese into small pieces, about the size of a pea or two and sprinkle over bagel pieces.
- Top with remaining bagels and berries.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bagel pieces. If necessary, toss to coat all of the bagels and then cover tightly and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and set out while the oven preheats to 350°F. Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes then remove foil and continue to bake until completely set, about 10 more minutes.
- To make the syrup, place maple syrup and berries in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. The berries should release some of their juices and then the mixture should thicken back to the consistency of maple syrup. Serve over warm bagel bake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 177mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 14g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.