These molasses cookies are warm, sweet and spicy. They are also soft and chewy. They are sure to be a hit on your holiday cookie tray!
A soft and chewy cookie laced with deep molasses flavor and a hint of spice. These are perfect for the holidays or any time. They’re like gingersnaps without the snap. They will definitely dance across your taste buds.
It is funny that even though I come from a very German family on my dad’s side, gingerbread wasn’t really a holiday staple. We always had sugar cookies, and crescent cookies, there was always peanut brittle and a variety of other cookies and candies.
But we never really got into the molasses and spiced cookies. My husband’s German family, however got a bit more into gingerbread.
His uncle Doug and family make and send gingerbread men from Washington state each year. It is the highlight of his grandma’s Christmas season, I think.
She gets the lot of gingerbread men and picks out a couple for each of the family members. But I think Matt’s dad takes the cake on gingerbread loving.
So I always try to make sure he is around when we have a gingerbread treat. I made him German gingerbread goat cookies last year as they have goats on their farm. I’ve also brought him gingerbread loaves and other spiced treats.
But this year, I thought it would be fun to make something a bit different. Instead of a crisp and snappy cookie, I thought it would be fun to make a softer version.
So now we have another Christmas-time favorite. It has just enough spice and that rich molasses sweetness.
But instead of a crunch when you bite into it, you get a nice soft cookie chew. It is nice to have a bit of variety after all.
We ate these plain, but they would be great dunked in white chocolate too. Maybe just the bottoms, for a bit of a snap followed by a soft cookie? Hmmmm. I better get to baking another batch so I can give that a try!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and molasses and beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Roll into 1-inch balls, then roll into sugar. Place a couple of inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.