Creamy delicious lightly chocolate ice cream with a swirl of cream cheese frosting. If you like red velvet cake you are going to love this pink velvet ice cream.
Super creamy ice cream with a swirl of cream cheese frosting. This pink ice cream has a hint of buttermilk, a bit of cocoa and lots of yummm. It is perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day.
This recipe was originally shared in 2016. At the time MiMi had an ice cream maker but I didn’t.
I got a new ice cream maker for Christmas, so I’ve been having fun updating her old posts. It gives me a chance to take new pictures and add printable recipe cards for your convenience.
Plus it means we get to eat lots of yummy homemade ice cream. I am hearing no complaints about that part from my taste testers!
MiMi’s original post from 2016:
With Valentine’s Day approaching it appeared that red velvet cake was all over the internet. I suddenly came across a recipe from the Cookie Rookie for a red velvet cake ice cream.
Since I love creating new ice cream recipes in my kitchen, I knew this would be one I just had to try. I have been experimenting with a new ice cream base so I changed up her recipe a little to work for me.
I also decided I liked the idea of making it pink. I added a little more cocoa and a neon pink food color gel.
This ice cream was a great success. Thank goodness I have a family full of willing taste testers.
This recipe makes a ton of ice cream. My 2 quart ice cream maker was full as can be.
When you add the frosting swirl, it grows even more. This batch filled most of a loaf pan plus about 2/3 of a quart container. So it’s lots of yumminess!
Ice cream maker recommendations:
MiMi has a couple kitchenaid ice cream maker attachments for her stand mixer. She loves them and makes all of her ice cream with them.
I recently got a cuisinart ice cream maker. You freeze the bowl ahead of using it much like the kitchenaid attachment.
I have only had it for a couple of months and have made several batches of ice cream already. So far so good and it doesn’t take up a ton of room for storage, no more than a food processor.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz brick cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 teaspoons red food coloring gel
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
Cream Cheese Frosting Swirl
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Put a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup with your whole milk and stir. Set aside for a few minutes as it becomes buttermilk.
- In a food processor or mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and sugar and mix until lump free. Be sure the scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the sweetened condensed milk as you mix until fully combined. Add the milk mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Blend in the food coloring and vanilla.
- Mix in the heavy cream, until just combined. You don't want to add too much air at this point.
- Store in your refrigerator until ready to churn it.
- Freeze as directed in your ice cream maker. It takes about 20-25 minutes in my Kitchenaid attachment. That gave me plenty of time to make my cream cheese icing while the ice cream was freezing.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix again. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until completely incorporated.
- When your ice cream is finished in the ice cream maker put half of it into your container. Dollop half of the cream cheese icing over it and swirl with a knife. Gently spread the rest of your ice cream over that. Dollop with remaining icing and swirl the top half with a knife.
- Store in your freezer until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.