A flavorful one pot meal that is brimming with collard greens, Italian sausage and rice for an easy and flavorful dinner.
Do you want a dinner that comes together easily in one pot but is loaded with flavor? One pot collard greens with rice and sausage is just the thing!
Just a few simple ingredients come together in a hearty and tasty dinner. My husband called in “phenomenal!”
Can you tell how much we have been loving our CSA boxes? It has been kind of a fun challenge to plan the week’s menu around whatever arrives in the box.
Of course there have been lots of greens in these early sets of vegetables, so using them all and keeping them feeling fresh has kept me on my toes.
When I saw some collard greens in a box, I got really excited. Of course I have had collards at BBQ restaurants, but have never cooked with them myself.
I had a half pound of Italian sausage in the fridge after making the creamy pasta with Italian sausage or chard, so I thought that would be a great thing to pare with these greens as well.
Rather than reaching for more pasta, rice seemed like a natural fit to make this a full meal in one pot. It helps add some bulk and absorbs some of the great flavor.
Cooking it all together like that give the collards plenty of time to soften while melding all the pieces into one final dish.
I had a vision for how this would turn out, but you never quite know what something is going to be like in actuality. That is especially the case when you’ve never worked with one of the main ingredients before.
But I tell you, it was so much better than I could have ever imagined. I never know why my husband will think of a dish like this either.
He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy in a lot of respects, but luckily he also likes to try new things.
He started out very complimentary of the dish and the compliments just kept getting bigger as he ate. Of course the second plateful was a good indicator as well!
So now I think we need to try sooooo many more collard green recipes! What are your favorite ways to make collards?
You may also like my recipe for sausage and kale farro in the instant pot. You could easily sub in collards for the kale if you would like.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 cup rice
- In a large covered pot (I used a 3 qt braiser style pan), brown the Italian sausage.
- Chop the onion and dice the garlic. Add to the pan with the sausage and cook until onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Use the chicken broth the deglaze the pan.
- Roll the cleaned collard greens into a cigar style roll. Slice into thin ribbons. Then cut across those cuts to make small squares and rectangles. Place in the pot and cover, cooking over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rice then cover and simmer for about 15-20 more minutes or until the rice is done to your like. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 1133mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.