Enchilada pasta salad has bold flavors and lots of texture. It is the perfect summer side dish, or add some cooked chicken or beef for an easy all in one dinner.
If you like southwestern flavors with a little bit of zing, this pasta salad recipe is for you! The dressing features enchilada sauce, sour cream, and lime juice, making it easy and flavorful. Then, we add all of our Tex-Mex favorites to make every bite sensational.
Macaroni salads are such a versatile make ahead option. There are so many flavor possibilities, and they are great for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, and more.
Plus, the leftovers make for a wonderful lunch the next day. This southwestern pasta salad is no exception.
The first night, we enjoyed it as a side dish along with some chipotle chicken. Then I chopped the leftover chicken and tossed it in with the pasta salad.
I took it to work for lunch all week long. What a tasty week it was!
Tasty Additions and Substitutions
One of the best things about pasta salads, is you can easily make them your own. The recipe down below is how we like this enchilada macaroni salad.
However, you can take this as a starting point and turn it into your own favorite creation. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
I like using pickled jalapenos. We always have a jar in our refrigerator, so it is easy for me.
You can use cowboy candy if you want a little sweet to balance out the heat. Or use fresh jalapenos.
If your family doesn’t like too much spice, add a small can of chopped green chilies instead. Or leave the peppers out altogether.
I also like using frozen corn because it is easy and tastes fresh. However, you can use fresh, sweet corn or drain a can of corn if that is better for you.
More mix-ins that would be great in this pasta salad:
- diced red onion
- green onion
- shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- browned ground beef
- grilled or rotisserie chicken
How do you store pasta salad?
Store your pasta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If it has sat out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours, it is best to go ahead and toss it.
More Flavorful Sides To Try:
If you like the flavors in this recipe, you will also love cowboy salad. It has a lot of similar flavors piled on a bed of greens with an easy to make creamy bbq dressing.
BBQ ranch macaroni salad is another great summer side dish. It is another wonderful mix of flavors and textures.
If you are looking for a cooked side dish to try, cheese and chili corn pudding may be for you. It has great texture and a wonderful flavor.
Enchilada Pasta Salad
- 16 oz. pasta
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoon lime juice
- 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 12 oz. frozen corn defrosted
- ½ cup diced pickled jalapenos
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Cook pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.16 oz. pasta
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together enchilada sauce, sour cream, and lime juice.1 cup red enchilada sauce, ½ cup sour cream, 2 Tablespoon lime juice
- Add the pasta, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and jalapenos. Stir so that everything is uniformly coated in the dressing.15 oz. can black beans, 12 oz. frozen corn, ½ cup diced pickled jalapenos, 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro. If desired, garnish with a little more cilantro and a drizzle of enchilada sauce.½ cup chopped cilantro