This comfort food casserole is a whole meal in one dish. It is cheesy, creamy and loaded with the good stuff. It is a great fill your bell meal that comes together quickly, starting with dry rice and raw chicken, no precooking required.
Feeding your family just got a whole lot easier. This cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole has it all in one dish. Plus it is a dump and bake recipe, so there is basically no prep work.
Just measure, dump, cover and bake! No pre-cooking. No fussing. It’s a perfectly easy way to fill up your family.
If you are looking for a comfort food option for dinner, this is it! There is nothing like a creamy, cheesy casserole to fill your belly.
This particular version is simplified. There is no pre-cooking of the rice.
There is no browning of the chicken either. You just put everything into a pan and turn it into dinner.
It really doesn’t get much easier than that! The rice soaks up the broth and the soup and cheese make a delicious thick sauce that holds it all together.
Using Velveeta cheese helps to ensure you get a nice creamy sauce. It doesn’t split and melts beautifully.
Meanwhile the chicken and broccoli cook right along with it. Some buttery cornflakes finish it off.
You could easily sub in cracker crumbs or buttered bread crumbs if that is what you happen to have on hand.
That is one of the best parts about casseroles, they are easily adaptable! You can even leave out the chicken and make this a great side dish or meatless main.
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
If you love a good casserole, you may want to check out grandma’s chicken and broccoli casserole. it is a great way to turn leftover chicken or turkey into a pasta based dinner.
Another comforting all in one meal we love is MiMi’s creamy chicken pot pie. It is another hearty meal that gets requested frequently around here!
Slow cooker chicken and rice is an easy meal that requires almost no prep work. It cooks while you go about your day, all you have to do is make a veggie and dinner is ready.
Or make some cornflake crumb chicken for an oven baked twist on fried chicken. There are plenty of tasty chicken dinner options!
For another great rice option, try making grandma’s baked rice with mushrooms. The rice cooks in a flavorful mix of beef broth and mushrooms for a tasty side dish.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 6 Tablespoons butter divided
- 21 ounces cream of chicken soup 2 cans
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces broccoli florets fresh or defrosted
- 1½ cups long grain rice uncooked
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese or similar
- 1½ pounds chicken breast
- 2 cups cornflakes crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a 9×13" pan.
- Stir the cream of chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, rice, broth and milk together in the pan.21 ounces cream of chicken soup, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1½ cups long grain rice, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup milk
- Cut the broccoli and chicken into bite sized pieces. Cut the cheese into cubes. Scatter all three over the top of the rice mixture.12 ounces broccoli florets, 1½ pounds chicken breast, 1 pound Velveeta cheese
- Cover with foil and bake for 55 minutes. Stir and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tablespoons of butter and stir into the cornflake crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.2 cups cornflakes
- Bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 °F.
- Let sit for 10 minutes then serve and enjoy.