I just love sugar cookies. I like to make them. I have been having fun decorating them. I love to eat them too! I wanted something a little bit warmer this time. Something with a little more depth of flavor. So I replaced half the sugar in my go-to sugar cookies with brown sugar and added just a bit of cinnamon. The results were exactly what I was going for.
These cookies are great for rolling and cutting. If you want a strong cinnamon flavor, you will want to add more. I just wanted enough to warm up the flavor slightly. I think it is the perfect twist but won’t upset sugar cookie purists.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and flavoring mix until completely incorporated
- Mix in flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until just combined.
- Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours or over night.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place half the dough onto a floured surface and roll to 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 6-8 minutes
- Cool on sheet for a couple of minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
- Allow to completely cool before you decorate