Nutritious delicious and oh so good. Finally you can make chocolate peanut butter sourdough muffins and eat them too, guilt free!
Start your day off right with these chocolate peanut butter sourdough muffins. They taste super indulgent, but are healthier than a lot of other muffin options.
These babies whip up in a snap and help use up some sourdough starter discard. You should make some and see your yourself!
I am starting to wonder if a week devoted to chocolate goodness is enough? Maybe we need to do this #choctoberfest stuff monthly instead of annually. What do you think?
I have seen all sorts of fun cookies and cakes I want to try. There were even some savory dishes sprinkled in. I am sad that the mini bundt cakes are gone and I’m counting down the hours until I have an excuse to make more peanut butter whipped cream.
That brings us to today and muffins. These muffins are loaded with chocolate and peanut butter, but they aren’t your standard bakery fare.
A lot of muffins are basically cupcakes without frosting. Now don’t get me wrong, I’d happily eat one. But if I’m going to have a cupcake, let’s just do it up right and load that puppy up with the sweet fluffy goodness that is frosting.
These gems are heartier than those standard muffins. They’re healthier too. They are sweet enough to feel like a bit of a treat, but they aren’t so sweet as to blur the line between breakfast and dessert.
They are packed full of the good stuff. There’s oatmeal, yogurt, whole wheat flour, sourdough and of course cocoa powder and peanut butter!
If you visit often, you know I love these sourdough muffins. They have great texture, they are so versatile and they’re a great way to use the discard when you refresh your starter.
So go ahead and make a batch (or two!) They make a perfect grab and go breakfast. Muffins are also great for a leisurely weekend breakfast.
You know the kind where you get to leisurely drink your coffee and take in the scenery. I’ve heard those kind of mornings actually exist! 😂
The best part is they freeze well too. So you can make a mess of muffins and enjoy them as you’d like in the coming weeks and months. All they need is about 20 seconds in the microwave and breakfast is served!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sourdough Muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup sourdough discard
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoon peanut butter
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 12 well muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together oatmeal, milk, yogurt, sourdough starter and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes if possible, if you are in a hurry you can go ahead and proceed.
- Stir in oil, egg and peanut butter.
- In a second bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Fold in peanut butter chips.
- You can refrigerate the batter overnight or go ahead and bake.
- Scoop batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes in the muffin tin and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or freeze until ready to eat.