Chocolate caramel pretzel bark is the perfect sweet and salty treat. It is easy to make and fun to eat. It is topped with candies and chopped peanuts for extra crunch and the drizzle of caramel brings a little bit of chewy richness to bring it all together.
Making homemade candy can be intimidating. Luckily this recipe is super simple using pantry staples and no candy thermometer.
If you can melt chocolate, you can make this tasty bark. The best part is you can easily customize it to make it perfect for your tastes or the occasion.
Table of Contents
You can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate if you prefer. You can even toss on some red and green candies if it is Christmas time.
If you like salted caramel, add an extra little sprinkle of sea salt at the end to make a salted caramel pretzel bark. Or if you prefer less salt, use unsalted peanuts or another kind of chopped nuts.
It is a perfect simple food gift for your favorite sweet tooth. Or make it as a tasty treat for a party or movie night.
Making the Chocolate Bark
Start by lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Arrange a layer of salty pretzels on the paper and set aside.
Now you want to temper some chocolate. Feel free to use the double boiler method, but I like melting it in a microwave-safe bowl to keep it easy.
Melt most of the chocolate, then add the remaining chocolate and stir until it is melted. This will ensure a nice chocolate snap on your finished bark.
Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the pretzels using an offset spatula or rubber spatula. Then sprinkle with M&M’s (or other candy) and chopped peanuts.
Now drizzle with melted caramel. I like melting caramels or caramel bits with a little bit of cream to keep it simple, but you can make your own caramel using the recipe below.
Then drizzle the hot caramel sauce over the bark. Then cool until completely set.
Cut into squares or break into smaller pieces. Either way the end result is going to be delicious!
Chocolate bark stores well at room temperature as long as it isn’t in direct sunlight. Obviously slightly cooler temperatures are better so the chocolate doesn’t melt.
Making a Homemade Caramel to Drizzle
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat. Once the sugar is dissolved, stop stirring the mixture. Allow it to cook for 6-8 minutes or until it takes on a honey color. Then reduce to low heat and continue cooking for a few more minutes until the sugar is an amber color.
- Once the sugar is amber in color, remove from the heat and add the butter. Be careful because the mixture may bubble and it is still really hot.
- Stir the butter into the sugar until it is completely melted. Use a whisk to stir the sugar and butter. Drizzle the heavy cream into the mixture and stir.
- Sprinkle in the sea salt. Once the caramel is done, pour over the pretzels. You may not use all of the buttery caramel on the bark, but you will surely not let it go to waste!
More Great Easy Candy Recipes
Homemade candy makes for a great dessert for holiday parties. Food gifts also make for a wonderful inexpensive gift as well. Here are a few more great candy recipes to try.
Soft delicious caramel, salty cashews and a delicious coating of milk chocolate come together to make these fun bear paw candies. They are simple to make, cute and oh so tasty!
You are just three ingredients away from the most fabulous chocolate dipped peanut butter Oreo truffles. These candies are easy to make and super delicious!
3 ingredient peanut butter fudge is rich, creamy and delicious. Best of all, it is super simple to make. You don’t need a candy thermometer, just a microwave or a double boiler.
Did you make this great recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bark
- 1½ cups Mini Pretzels
- 2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup M&M’s
- ½ cup Peanuts chopped
- 19 unwrapped caramels (about half 11 ounce bag)
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Arrange pretzels in a single layer over the wax or parchment paper.1½ cups Mini Pretzels
- Place two-thirds of the chocolate chips in a medium glass bowl. Microwave on high in 15-30 seconds intervals, stirring each time, until chips are completely melted.2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and stir to combine and melt. Continue to stir until all the chocolate is melted, smooth, and glossy. Don't be tempted to put it back in the microwave to finish melting added chips. It will eventually melt from the residual heat.
- Pour melted chocolate over pretzels and spread out to form and even layer.
- Sprinkle with M&Ms and peanuts.½ cup M&M’s, ½ cup Peanuts
- Place unwrapped caramels and milk in a small glass bowl. Melt on high in 30 second intervals until mixture is hot throughout, and the caramel is mostly melted. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth, then drizzle over the bark. The chocolate doesn't have to be set before drizzling on the caramel.19 unwrapped caramels, 1 Tablespoon milk or cream
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to set completely, then cut into pieces and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool dark place for up to a couple of weeks.