Sit down to a cozy dinner of Cavanaugh’s beef noodles with tomatoes. The thick egg noodles are perfect with beef make for a perfect comfort food meal.
Are you looking for a new dinner recipe to feed you family? Look no further! Get your dutch oven out and stew some beef in a simple gravy and throw in some egg noodles. It will fill them up and have them coming back for more!
This is one of the recipes that MiMi has made over the years and couldn’t wait to share on the blog. Now, almost 4 years later I thought it would be fun to make it again and update the pictures a bit.
It was the perfect dinner to warm us all up on a snowy day. Little Dude loved it and so did my husband, even if he couldn’t help but to put a little cheese on top!
Now here is the original post from MiMi:
Once upon a time, long long ago when I was a little girl, we had neighbors by the last name of Cavanaugh. Mrs. Cavanaugh shared her noodle recipe with my mom, Maw Maw.
If I remember correctly, she entered and won a contest sponsored by Kluski noodles. The following is her recipe the way we remember it.
Maw Maw doesn’t know what she would have done with the original recipe. It’s possible that I finally convinced her to look for her recipe box.
I hope she finds it because she has some really good recipes in there. For the most part, she just memorized all of the meals she made and rarely used a recipe.
She thinks I was probably between three and five years old when we got this recipe. I remember when she let me shake the beef cubes in the bag of flour.
I’m sure I had a lot of fun helping my mom make dinner. I know that I really enjoyed eating this meal. Maw Maw suggests serving it with broccoli.
Whenever she has a tomato based meal, she likes to have a green vegetable as a side dish. If you give this recipe a try you will understand why it won a recipe contest and why we still prepare it this many years later.
A few more recipes from MiMi’s Childhood:
- 2 Tablespoon oil or shortening
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 onion, halved and cut into slices
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoon Lawry’s salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounce package Kluski (or similar) noodles
- 1 paper lunch sack or gallon zipper plastic bag
- In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the onions in the oil.
- Meanwhile, put the flour and seasonings in the bag and shake to mix. Drop a handful of beef cubes in the flour. Shake them up then put into pan. Continue until all of the meat has been dredged and put into the pan. (I don’t like to shake off the flour because that is what makes a nice gravy)
- Stir occasionally until all of the beef is browned. Add water to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch. Cover and let simmer an hour or so.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Add the tomatoes to the beef. When heated through, stir in the noodles.
- Serve with broccoli… Maw Maw says you have to!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1185mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.