A perfect grab and go breakfast that is wholesome and uses some of your sourdough starter? Yep! These oatmeal raisin sourdough muffins have great texture and flavor. I think you’ll love the ingredient list too!
We have a new member of the household that I haven’t told you much about yet. Her name is Bertha. She came into being a few weeks back and thus far has been a good house guest.
She requires a little attention now and then and needs fed at least once a week. The best part is she makes delicious baked goods.
Beautiful boules of bread, sandwich loaves and she has even made a delicious batch of pasta. And now she is making muffins! She is so versatile and handy to have around!
Of course, she is my sourdough starter.
Here is how it happened. I was minding my own business one day. My husband and Little Dude were gone for a bit so I had a little time on my own. So, I did what any reasonable person would do with some spare time… folded laundry!
I pulled up Netflix and clicked on an episode of Cooked. It was the air episode, talking about bread. By the time I was done folding the mountain of laundry, I had decided I HAD to have some sourdough.
You can order a starter, but that didn’t seem good enough. I had to MAKE one of my very own.
He says you are more likely to feed and less likely to kill something with a name. So I lovingly incubated and fed my new baby for 5 days before she became Bertha.
Maybe some day Bertha can meet his sourdough, Sam. I’m sure they’d hit it off splendidly!
So far Bertha has been getting quite a workout and we have been enjoying having her around. She hasn’t had much rest, but she also hasn’t complained much.
Today I stirred her into some fun and pretty healthy muffins. She had her first taste of brown sugar and she loved it! She bubbled with delight.
I also stirred in some yogurt, because if we are going fermented food we might as well go whole hog! The muffins turned out beautifully and would be a delicious and healthy addition to your morning routine, whether that means grabbing one as you run out the door or sitting down to a leisurely brunch.
Either way, enjoy!
Oatmeal Raisin Sourdough Muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt or additional milk
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- ⅓ cup honey or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Stir together oats, milk, yogurt and raisins right away and let sit while you gather up the rest of the ingredients and get ready. You want the oats and raisins to have a chance to soften up a bit.1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, ½ cup milk, ½ cup plain yogurt, ½ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Stir sourdough starter and honey or brown sugar into oats.½ cup sourdough starter, ⅓ cup honey or brown sugar
- Stir oil and egg into oat mixture.⅓ cup oil, 1 large egg
- In a small bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.1½ cup all purpose flour, 1½ teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.