Turn fresh or frozen blackberry into a delicious sauce to top cakes, ice cream, cheesecake and more! This sauce has a great balance of sweet and tart and comes together easily with very few ingredients.
This easy to make blackberry sauce has that great balance of sweet and tart. There is a hint of lemon, plenty of berries. It cooks up quickly with very little effort and is perfect drizzled over so many things. It is great for making blackberry shortcake as well!
This sauce works great with fresh berries as well as frozen. We get gallons of blackberries off our bushes each year.
We use a bunch during the summer and freeze the rest for sweet treats during the year. I used some frozen berries to make the sauce for Donna’s cheesecake and fresh berries when I made it for the blackberry shortcake cake.
It would also be great over some vanilla ice cream or some pancakes.
- 3 cups blackberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Place blackberries, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until it comes to a boil.
- Continue to boil and stir for 10 minutes.
- If you desire a thicker sauce, make a slurry of the cornstarch and water and add to boiling berries. Cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.