Share with your friends!
These dark and delicious mocha chocolate chunk cookies are full of chocolate and coffee flavor. Your favorite baristas are going to miss you when you start eating your mocha instead!
Soft and not too sweet, these cookies are laced with espresso and chocolate chunks. They are like a coffeehouse favorite in cookie form. They are a perfect snack to get you over the afternoon hump or perfect dessert that caters to the adults in the room.
Chocolate and coffee are a dessert match made in heaven. So I set out to create a cookie that gave a full dose of each.
I have been loving baking with coffee lately, so this certainly didn’t seem like a stretch. Mocha Whipped Cream goes with everything, right?
I really wanted the flavors of the coffee and the chocolate to shine. Plus I wanted a soft and delicious cookie, just the way my husband likes them.
These little gems have that deep dark mocha flavor we love. They aren’t too sweet, just enough to balance out the coffee and cocoa.
They have a nice mocha flavor with just enough melty chocolate chunks to take the decadence to the next level. There is no way you can eat just one of these babies.
To get that full coffee flavor, I knew I needed more than just coffee extract. So I stirred in some actual coffee grounds.
They were fabulous. In subsequent batches, I’ve used espresso powder with wonderful results.
It may feel a little strange putting espresso powder or coffee grounds in the cookies, but believe me it works!
Just grind up a heaping Tablespoon of beans to get about a Tablespoon of coffee. If you buy your coffee already ground, just stick that measuring spoon in there and throw them in the dough.
I can see you looking at me with disbelief. Trust me. (Just look at my face, don’t I look trustworthy? Really, I do!)
Bake a batch and let me know what you think. I just know you are going to love them.
The rest of the recipe is much more believable on the face of it. It’s all ingredients we know and love.
Though I consider these a more adult treat due to the coffee and less sweet finish, the kids liked them too. Even self professed coffee haters liked them if they tried them without knowing what they were.
My husband and I both agree that the coffee flavor is there, in the best sort of way. Whip up a batch and let me know what you think!
If you like coffee in your dessert, you may also like my coffee and cream sponge cake. It is absolutely amazing.
If it is the mocha that has you excited, make a batch of peppermint mocha shortbread cookies. A few of those and a few of these would make a lovely mocha themed treat tray!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder or coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and espresso or coffee grounds.
- Carefully add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least a half hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and prepare line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Scoop small balls of dough onto lined cookie sheets, I like to use my small cookie scoop for this. Bake for 8-10 minutes. (Larger cookies may take a minute or two longer, the cookies should be set but soft and moist.)
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several days, or freeze for longer storage time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.
Share with your friends!