This simplified version of black forest sheet cake still feels ultra luxe. Moist chocolate cake studded with cherries, creamy vanilla German buttercream and a layer of ganache come together to make your dessert dreams come true!
This cake is over the top good without being fussy to put together. The chocolate cake is highlighted with cherries and chocolate chips.
A silky smooth layer of German buttercream separates the cake from a shiny layer of ganache that tops the whole thing off nicely. It may look unassuming at first glance, but it is ready to wow you once you cut into it!
This sheet cake is getting ready to win over your heart. It is actually relatively simple to make and the layers work together to make it both look and taste stunning.
Check out the beauty and inner workings of each layer and then put all of the ingredients on your grocery list. This one is worth making up and excuse to bake!
You will be surprised how easily the cake comes together. It starts with a chocolate cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling, so it is in the oven in no time.
With a few simple mix-ins the cake mix is transformed into something extra special. It is always moist and has never failed me.
I like using mini chocolate chips in this recipe. They basically melt into the cake and give that rich chocolate flavor without being distinctly detectable.
If you can measure and stir together a few ingredients, you can make this cake. It’s all in one bowl and simple as can be.
In fact you don’t have to tell your guests how easy it is to make. It’s our little secret.
The Buttercream Layer
German buttercream really sets this cake off. It is built on a thick custard base, so it is super creamy and subtly sweet.
It adds a softness between two bold chocolate layers. You may want to make a double batch so you have some to eat off a spoon too!
Don’t let all of the steps in the recipe deter you from making it. It is more work than American buttercream for sure, but not really complicated.
You can make the pudding part ahead of time and refrigerate it for a few days even. Then just whip in the butter when you are ready to assemble your cake.
A layer of rich chocolaty ganache is almost always a good idea. The shiny chocolate makes you anticipate good things to come and it really makes for striking layers on this cake.
I used a dark chocolate to make my ganache. It was really delicious with the other layers.
If milk chocolate is more your style, go for it! The frosting is only subtly sweet, so milk chocolate wouldn’t be too much here.
If you give it a try, be sure to let me know! Also, if you don’t have cream, feel free to use slightly less milk. It will still make a fabulous smooth layer to top your cake.
- 1 (15.25 ounce) Devil’s food cake mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 recipe German buttercream
- 5-6 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup whole milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Put the cake mix, vegetable oil, egg and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together on low speed until the ingredients are combined. Then mix on medium speed for two minutes.
- Stir in the cherry pie filling and mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until it springs back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Smooth the German buttercream over the cake and then chill for at least 15 minutes.
- When you are ready to finish the cake, break the chocolate into small pieces. Place in a small microwave safe bowl. Add milk or cream and microwave in 15-20 second spurts, stirring well between. As soon as the chocolate stirs smooth, let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Once the ganache is no longer hot, just warm, pour it over the chilled cake and spread until smooth.
- This cake is best stored in the refrigerator, but let the pieces come to room temperature before eating it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.