Sweet but spiked with a bit of warm spice, these peach preserved will take your toast and biscuits to the next level!
I think I might be a bit jam, preserve and spread obsessed lately! This is actually my third peach jam version on the blog so far and that doesn’t include the vanilla peach sauce!
Who would have thought? I love making peach jam, it is so easy.
All it takes is a little bit of acid and the natural pectin already in the peaches. You just need to give it enough time to do it’s magic. You can go from fresh or frozen peaches to jam in less than a half hour.
I wanted to make Kristie’s shower extra special, so there needed to be homemade jams for the biscuits. I made some blackberry spread from our homegrown berries, but Kristie isn’t usually into things with berries.
So, I thought I would make some peach preserves too. But being fall and all, I wanted to warm up the tones a bit. So a little cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg later and warm slightly spiced peach preserve was born! It was delicious and fun and easy and perfect.
- 1 lb pealed, sliced and pitted peaches (you can use frozen)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine peaches, lemon juice, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently. Bring to a low boil and continue cooking and stirring for about 15 minutes.
- For chunky preserves, mash with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender for smoother preserves.
- Put a small drop of preserves on a plate and refrigerate for a minute to check your consistency. If it is thick enough for you, remove from the heat. If you would like for it to thicken up a bit, allow to simmer for a couple more minutes and then try again.
- Once you have the desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.