This recipe is adapted from the White House Pastry Chef’s recipe for blueberry bundt cake. It is delicious, easy and perfect for spring, President’s Day or 4th of July!
A tender white cake studded with loads of blueberries is always a welcome addition to our table. This delicious bundt cake makes a statement on it’s own. Just a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze is all it needs to be gussied up. So enjoy this recipe, it came straight from the White House kitchen!
Wooohooo! It’s Presidents Day! In the past, it has not been much of a cause for celebrations. But I will let you in on a little secret. I am a municipal employee now which means I get these kinds of days off!
I actually enjoy my job more days than I don’t, but a day off is still a cause for celebration! (I mean, always, right?!) So when Sue from Palatable Pastimes suggested doing a fun collection of presidential recipes, I couldn’t resist.
The only problem was… what to make?! Of course you could do jelly beans for President Reagan, but putting delicious little sweet beans of candy delight into a bowl didn’t exactly seem like a post.
Luckily some people starting chiming in with fun ideas and inspiration. So I knew I had to join in on the fun.
I still hemmed and hawed over what to make for quite some time. Then I came across a buttermilk blueberry bundt cake that the Obama’s pastry chef made from the White House garden’s blueberries.
I have been on a real blueberry kick recently, so I knew this had to be the one. Plus I have a fun star shaped bundt pan that would make it extra festive!
I did make a few adjustments to the recipe to suit ingredients that I had on hand, but the spirit of the recipe is the same. So you can imagine yourself sitting down to tea in the White House and being served a generous slice of this berry filled beauty. It sounds quite lovely to me!
This recipe is adapted from American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 2/3 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a large bundt pan, at least 10 cup capacity
- Mix together milk and lemon juice and set aside
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and beat until completely combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 1/3 cups flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the milk and then the remaining flour mixture.
- Toss blueberries in remaining 1/3 cup flour and fold into batter. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes and then turn out and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.
Happy #President’s Day
We are sharing recipes that honor our past presidents and their birthdays.