These super fun orange creamsicle ice cream bon bons only take 4 ingredients (including the sprinkles!) and a few minutes to make. They are a perfectly easy and delicious summer treat!
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #summerdessertweek. As always all opinions are honest and my own.
Orange creamsicle ice cream bon bons scream summer to me. As your teeth crack through the orange shell they sink into creamy vanilla ice cream. Never has making these citrus and vanilla treats been so easy to make. You’ll want to have them all summer long!
Summer always offers tons of opportunities to make treats. We tend to host a lot of get togethers and enjoy extra time with our family and friends.
Of course I always volunteer to be the dessert committee. I love having an excuse to whip up something fun.
With the temperatures ratcheting up, desserts with long bake times become less appealing though. Luckily there are plenty of great no bake options and these bon bons quickly moved up our list of favorites.
They have the color and flavor right in the candy, so they are super convenient, no worries about the flavoring seizing the candy.
He has a bit of a reputation for liking dreamsicles. After pondering a variety of ideas, I decided to keep it simple and boy am I ever glad I did.
Basically all you do is make some orange cream magic shell with the candy melts and coconut oil. Then you dip small scoops of vanilla ice cream and quickly apply a few sprinkles.
After a trip back to the freezer, they are ready to eat. They can be served in a bowl with a spoon or eaten in a few bites with your fingers.
Either way, you and your guests are going to love them. Plus they store fabulously so you could just make a batch for yourself to have a treat when you need one!
Tips and tricks for making ice cream bon bons
You want to keep everything super cold. Freeze the sheet pan before you scoop the ice cream and freeze the ice cream again before you start dipping.
Use wax paper, parchment or silicone mats on your pan. Otherwise the ice cream melts more quickly and can stick to the pan.
A smaller bowl works better for the magic shell. It is easier to dip into deeper chocolate, using a larger bowl spreads the shell out more and makes it harder to cover the ice cream scoops.
You want to have your sprinkles ready and work quickly. The shell sets fast, so you need to get the sprinkles on as soon as you pull the ice cream out.
After the dipped ice cream balls are completely set again in the freezer, they can be transferred from the sheet pan to a freezer bag or storage container without any problem.
You can sub in other flavors or candy melts or chocolate for the shell if desired.
More great orange creamsicle inspired recipes:
- Orange Creamsicle Pretzel Salad
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Orange Creamsicle Jello Salad
- Orange Creamsicle No Bake Cheesecake
- Orange Creamsicle Sourdough Muffins
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 8 ounces orange creme candy melts
- 8 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Place a baking sheet lined with wax paper, a silicone mat or parchment paper in the freezer for 5-10 minutes (longer is ok).
- Scoop small scoops of ice cream onto frozen sheet pan. I used a medium cookie scoop, but any size scoop you’d like will be fine.
- Place tray of ice cream scoops back into the freezer.
- Place the candy melts and coconut oil into a small microwave safe bowl. Warm in 30 second bursts, stirring in between until you can stir it smooth. Be careful not to overcook the chocolate and scorch it.
- Get your sprinkles ready in a small bowl so you can work quickly.
- Dip a scoop of ice cream into the candy melts and quickly top with sprinkles before the shell sets. Place back on baking sheet and keep repeating until all of the ice cream is dipped.
- Return sheet pan to freezer.
- Once completely set and frozen solid, bon bons can be removed from baking sheet and placed in a plastic bag or other container for storage.
- Serve straight from freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.